BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many, many apologies for this thread, but I have just spent hours over the last few days on this computer looking for a thread I read some time ago about cutting out a piece of the seat hinge plate and rewelding it to lower the riders seat down to the factory tupperware. I have the bike all stripped of its plastic and now is the time to do it. I can't find the GD thread.

Is there anyone out there who can sense my frustration and either advise me as to the size of the piece to cut out or refer me to the thread I am looking for? It will do wonders for my blood pressure AND maybe I can get my 27" legs down better.

A big thanks to all.
Austin S.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Daman858 said:
Just a note - this mod is for 99-04 seats only. 05-06 seat pans were re-designed and sit as low as possible next to the frame, the nose was also tapered quite a bit as well.

Unfortunately this was done only to make prospective purchasers feel that the bike was smaller and less of a "gorilla" in the show room - it did nothing to improve comfort and for anyone over 200 lbs. made it less comfortable.

·
Old Dawg
3,293 Posts
BMW did make a lower seat for the 99-04 bikes you can order from you dealer or you may see a used one here.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RonKMiller said:
Just a note - this mod is for 99-04 seats only. 05-06 seat pans were re-designed and sit as low as possible next to the frame, the nose was also tapered quite a bit as well.

Unfortunately this was done only to make prospective purchasers feel that the bike was smaller and less of a "gorilla" in the show room - it did nothing to improve comfort and for anyone over 200 lbs. made it less comfortable.
Appreciate your comments about the '05. I have lowered the seat by all tried and true means from the rear. The result is the seat is down at the rear but rises slightly towards the front which shows as a long tapered rise with the front of the seat clearly about 3/8" above the tupperware. By cutting a piece out of the seat hinge that should lower the front and the "fit" should look much better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts