BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

firstly, love the forum - lots of great information about the RT which I bought last year - my first BMW, and I cant get enough of it ......... except for the seat. S.O. has also had problems on the new ride with a sore tailbone and is not willing to undertake a decent trip until I get it properly sorted.

I have settled on getting a russell seat (I cannot find anything similar here in Australia) so I intend to order one and have it sent over - only problem is getting a rider and pillion seat pan to send to them to build it on.

I have searched beemer boneyard, but nothing listed - i would be very grateful for any guidance about where to obtain one in the US.

Also, has anyone fitted a laminar lip to a camhead RT (i.e. the new screen) - any comments or feedback. I think the screen does a pretty good job, but I still get a bit of buffeting around my head at highway speeds.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sixty6north said:
hi all,

firstly, love the forum - lots of great information about the RT which I bought last year - my first BMW, and I cant get enough of it ......... except for the seat. S.O. has also had problems on the new ride with a sore tailbone and is not willing to undertake a decent trip until I get it properly sorted.

I have settled on getting a russell seat (I cannot find anything similar here in Australia) so I intend to order one and have it sent over - only problem is getting a rider and pillion seat pan to send to them to build it on.

I have searched beemer boneyard, but nothing listed - i would be very grateful for any guidance about where to obtain one in the US.

Also, has anyone fitted a laminar lip to a camhead RT (i.e. the new screen) - any comments or feedback. I think the screen does a pretty good job, but I still get a bit of buffeting around my head at highway speeds.

Thanks

Rob
Hi Rob, glad to hear you are enjoying your RT. Ive only had mine a couple of months and its a wonderful bike.
I havent done any really big days on mine yet, 400ks is my biggest day but Ive got a 4 day ride coming up at the end of May.
So far I have found my seat OK.
My last bike was a 2007 K1200GT and the seat on that was nothing but aweful.
I had it rebuilt by a guy here in Brisbane and it was much better however not ever what I would call comfy.
Depending on how much cash you are prepared to part with I think that you have a couple of options without having to buy or ship your own seat pans.
Depending on your height, BMW make a Comfort Seat for the RT which retails for about $900 here in OZ or given the exchange rate buy one in. Here is a link.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=2524

There was one on my bike when I got it but at 183cm I found it a little low and compromised on leg room. It fixes in the low seat position and is 1 piece. I recently sold mine as I also got the stock seats with it..
It has factory heating and is wider than the stock seat with better padding.

Another option available is the Touratech seat made for them by a company called Kahedo
They have the option to trade in your own seats or to just buy theirs without a trade in. They arent the sexiest looking but they do look very comfy. They come in a low, standard and high build.
An option for you here is to just replace the pillion.
Here is a link for those.
http://www.touratech.com.au/home/13-r1200rt/r1200rt-standard-heated-driver-seat/flypage.tpl.html
I would be interested to hear from you about whatever you do in case I discover that I dont like mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Rob,

Can't help you out with the seat issue, but I just upgraded the windshield on my 2011 RT. First, I installed Wunderlich wind deflectors. Not bad, but they don't give a dramatic improvement with the stock BMW windshield. Two days later I installed a +2" Cee Bailey windshield. The combination of the Wunderlich deflectors and the Cee Bailey have completely eliminated any buffeting around my helmet. I highly recommend this route if you're looking for better airflow control. This option has given me 90% of the protection that I experienced with my 2007 LT. As far as the passenger is concerned, I haven't had anyone back there since the mods, so I can't speak to that issue.

Captdf

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dadicool59 said:
Hi Rob, glad to hear you are enjoying your RT. Ive only had mine a couple of months and its a wonderful bike.
I havent done any really big days on mine yet, 400ks is my biggest day but Ive got a 4 day ride coming up at the end of May.
So far I have found my seat OK.
My last bike was a 2007 K1200GT and the seat on that was nothing but aweful.
I had it rebuilt by a guy here in Brisbane and it was much better however not ever what I would call comfy.
Depending on how much cash you are prepared to part with I think that you have a couple of options without having to buy or ship your own seat pans.
Depending on your height, BMW make a Comfort Seat for the RT which retails for about $900 here in OZ or given the exchange rate buy one in. Here is a link.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=2524

There was one on my bike when I got it but at 183cm I found it a little low and compromised on leg room. It fixes in the low seat position and is 1 piece. I recently sold mine as I also got the stock seats with it..
It has factory heating and is wider than the stock seat with better padding.

Another option available is the Touratech seat made for them by a company called Kahedo
They have the option to trade in your own seats or to just buy theirs without a trade in. They arent the sexiest looking but they do look very comfy. They come in a low, standard and high build.
An option for you here is to just replace the pillion.
Here is a link for those.
http://www.touratech.com.au/home/13-r1200rt/r1200rt-standard-heated-driver-seat/flypage.tpl.html
I would be interested to hear from you about whatever you do in case I discover that I dont like mine.
I am also 183 cm so low seat is not going to work. I was going to say my old bones needed a good seat as well, but I notice that you used to ride an XS2 (which was my first bike as well) so we are probably a similar vintage. As for the cost, i am not bothered about paying, the most important thing is to get the most comfortable seat that I can, especially for my wife - I just don't want to pay twice, so I would like to go for the Russell first time around. I base this on having never read a bad report about the Russell, but have managed to find differing reports on every other seat. I had a Corbin on my last bike, and it was good - I reckon it was a 4 hour seat, not a day long seat, and my wife found it a bit too firm for a longer rides (fixed it by using an Airhawk cushion on top of it).

So, in short, I really want to try and get the Russell seat - this will work so long as I can find a seat in the US to start with - this should all be OK given the currency exchange rate at the moment.

Thanks for your interest though - I will let you know if I get it sorted and how it works out. I will be riding up to Brisbane later in the year so if I get a Russell seat on it, I could slip by so you can check it out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sixty6north said:
I am also 183 cm so low seat is not going to work. I was going to say my old bones needed a good seat as well, but I notice that you used to ride an XS2 (which was my first bike as well) so we are probably a similar vintage. As for the cost, i am not bothered about paying, the most important thing is to get the most comfortable seat that I can, especially for my wife - I just don't want to pay twice, so I would like to go for the Russell first time around. I base this on having never read a bad report about the Russell, but have managed to find differing reports on every other seat. I had a Corbin on my last bike, and it was good - I reckon it was a 4 hour seat, not a day long seat, and my wife found it a bit too firm for a longer rides (fixed it by using an Airhawk cushion on top of it).

So, in short, I really want to try and get the Russell seat - this will work so long as I can find a seat in the US to start with - this should all be OK given the currency exchange rate at the moment.

Thanks for your interest though - I will let you know if I get it sorted and how it works out. I will be riding up to Brisbane later in the year so if I get a Russell seat on it, I could slip by so you can check it out.
Good luck with it then Rob and yes I certainly would be interested in seeing it when you get up this way.
I will send you a PM with my phone number.
Ride safe.
Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts