BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, going to visit a gravesite (actually in Lonsdale, Arkansas).
So making lemon aid out of lemons....
Going to make a ride out of it.

Planning on 4 days to get there and then come home a different route.
I have the first 2 days planned - night one in Jerome, AZ (one of my favorite rides) and night 2 in Truth or Consequences or there about.

Was hoping for any recs for nice rides through Texas, Oklahoma and into the Hot Springs area and then a different route back.

No interest in riding superslab highways unless I have to - prefer the smaller mountain or agricultural areas/road.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bob

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200 LT (88K on 2020/08/13)
144 Posts
Bob:

Can't offer any route/ride advise, but wish you the very best on your Lemonade run. Going solo, or have riding partners? Be safe, and take care out there!

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Hwy 1/Hwy88 from Talihina, OK to Mena, AR is a good ride
Hwy 23 (Pic Trail) from I 40 north to Brashears, AR.
Lots of great back roads to ride NW Arkansas, Butler Maps has one for the Ozarks. Just watch out for all the deer, cellphone service is spotty at best and make sure to fuel up in the larger cities as gas can be hard to find on the back roads.

Have a safe ride!

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob:

Can't offer any route/ride advise, but wish you the very best on your Lemonade run. Going solo, or have riding partners? Be safe, and take care out there!
Solo trip, thanks.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hwy 1/Hwy88 from Talihina, OK to Mena, AR is a good ride
Hwy 23 (Pic Trail) from I 40 north to Brashears, AR.
Lots of great back roads to ride NW Arkansas, Butler Maps has one for the Ozarks. Just watch out for all the deer, cellphone service is spotty at best and make sure to fuel up in the larger cities as gas can be hard to find on the back roads.

Have a safe ride!
Thanks so much. I will check those out. I ride with a sat phone - hopefully won't need it. Yeah the deer. Already had one encounter. Luckily very slow speed and small guy. Just a bit of parts had to be replaced - nothing crazy and it did not end the ride. Funny thing my buddy and I had just mentioned to each other that it was the time of day they come out. I had slowed down on a small road and some 3 or 4 off to the side. So I was literally going about 2 mph and moved to the other side of the road and one just decided he would run into the side of me. It did not knock me down, thankfully and he was fine but big enough to require some plastic replacement - weirdest thing ever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks so much. I will check those out. I ride with a sat phone - hopefully won't need it. Yeah the deer. Already had one encounter. Luckily very slow speed and small guy. Just a bit of parts had to be replaced - nothing crazy and it did not end the ride. Funny thing my buddy and I had just mentioned to each other that it was the time of day they come out. I had slowed down on a small road and some 3 or 4 off to the side. So I was literally going about 2 mph and moved to the other side of the road and one just decided he would run into the side of me. It did not knock me down, thankfully and he was fine but big enough to require some plastic replacement - weirdest thing ever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recall there is a mini-grand canyon south of Amarillo. If you are near OKC on Route 66, check out Pop’s. We ride there out of west Tulsa. Talihina dive, yep I second as it’s just beautiful. We enjoy Hot Springs as well. Hwy 7 north out of Hot Springs is a great ride. Head up towards Russellville. Just before, turn towards Ozark. Hook into HWY 23 “pig trail” and head towards Eureka Springs. Run up towards Branson MO. Then head west. It’s all flat until Colorado. There is a cool salt mine in Hays KS. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recall there is a mini-grand canyon south of Amarillo. If you are near OKC on Route 66, check out Pop’s. We ride there out of west Tulsa. Talihina dive, yep I second as it’s just beautiful. We enjoy Hot Springs as well. Hwy 7 north out of Hot Springs is a great ride. Head up towards Russellville. Just before, turn towards Ozark. Hook into HWY 23 “pig trail” and head towards Eureka Springs. Run up towards Branson MO. Then head west. It’s all flat until Colorado. There is a cool salt mine in Hays KS. Good luck.
Will definitely check Pop's out. Looked it up on the internet - cool place. I was looking for a more northerly route home so I like the idea of heading up north and then through Colorado. Thanks again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had slowed down on a small road and some 3 or 4 off to the side. So I was literally going about 2 mph and moved to the other side of the road and one just decided he would run into the side of me. It did not knock me down, thankfully and he was fine but big enough to require some plastic replacement - weirdest thing ever.
There is a old saying..."steer for the deer" It never fails...if you move away from a deer, it will inevitably run into you. If you steer for the deer, it will usually move away from you.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a old saying..."steer for the deer" It never fails...if you move away from a deer, it will inevitably run into you. If you steer for the deer, it will usually move away from you.
Counterintuitive but I like it. Has to be hard to do though.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
It sounds like you have a great trip mapped out.

When I see deer beside the road, I lay down on the horn. Deer don't like loud noises and will move away from the source. This doesn't work for elk. Years ago, I was an over-the-road truck driver. I was at a Freightliner Dealership getting some work done and was wandering around the shop. I saw a truck that had no hood, the engine and transmission were pushed back and dropped, the radiator was knarled, and had been chopped by the fan. I asked a tech what had happened. The driver of that truck spotted a bull elk in the road. He pulled the cable on his highway horn. WONK! WONK! You know how little kids used to love to get a driver to do that! Well, the elk didn't like it, took it as a challenge, lowered his head, and CHARGED! Looking again, I noticed bits of fur and animal in the creases. What a mess!

Reactions: Lopaca
1 - 11 of 11 Posts