BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad experience with Ride-On tire sealant. I had a slow leak in my rear tire and decided to try Ride-On to see if it would fix the leak, since I could not find it. I added 8 oz, per instructions before my trip back east. I had to add air twice during the trip... :(

Upon return, I finally found a small nail-like object, barely visible head just under tire surface, about 1" off center-line in tread area. I pulled object, which ended up being about 1/16" diameter. Unfortunately, the leak became worse and I ended up with a flat... :(

Ride-On did nothing to prevent this flat, and even did not help stop the small leak while the object was still in the tire. When I pulled it out, it leaked like nothing had even been added to help prevent the leak.

So, I will never trust Ride-On again....

I realize many have said it has worked for them, but this experience has turned me off ! :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
My understanding is that you should use the sealant before you get a leak; not after the leak. Did you repair or replace the tire?

Regards,

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Two thoughts about tires. One is carry a plugging kit. Not the useless one that comes with the bike. Get one that has a pistol type insertion tool. I took a nail recently, a good sized one. When I finally decided I needed to plug it the whole thing took 10 minutes. Took longer to pump up the tire with my little sparrow tire pump. Second thought, Smartire tire pressure monitoring system. IMHO it should be standard equipment. When I took that nail I didn't feel anything in the handling. Doing 85 down the highway the Smartire alert comes on, my pressure in 30 psi. It gave a constant read out so I could get off the highway. When the pressure dropped to 24 I pulled over, plugged the tire and then for the next few days I could still ride because I had a safety backup watching my pressure for me. I ordered a new tire, but felt confident I could ride on the plugged tire until the new one came in. Incidently the plug never lost air.
My .02 worth.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Docwagner,

What is the "Smartire tire pressure monitoring system," you mentioned?

EDIT

Ok, I googled it and WOW. That is one of the neatest things I have seen in a while. What great piece of mind, for little cost.

It is next on my list of gets. Did you install it or did you have the dealer install it and where did you pick yours up at?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Jim,
why don't you call or e-mail Ride-on ?
Tel: 703-421-9778 Fax: 703-421-1967
Toll Free in the USA: 1-888-374-3366
or
http://www.ride-on.com/feedbackform.htm

They seams pretty good at Customer Service to me.
I called they twice before decide to use it and people there were very helpful.
I used it on my Alaska Trip (please see http://www.viajareua.com/alaskaCanada.html if you want a detailed report), and after almost 10K miles both tires had a lot of cuts on it, but no leaking.
I guess it was because the Ride-On...
Would be great if you could explain to Ride-On what happens and then post their comments.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I can't believe I didn't know about this stuff. I just called the customer service guy and he was EXTREMELY helpful. I ordered a case of the Motorcycle formula (for my three bikes & trailer) and an SUV kit for the truck. If this stuff saves me even once, I'll be a proud customer.

Ride-On seems like just the ticket to go with my tire monitoring system. I've been through two flats (rear only - knock on my wooden head) at high speed, and I don't ever want to go through it again. Too scarey.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Loganfilm said:
I can't believe I didn't know about this stuff. I just called the customer service guy and he was EXTREMELY helpful. I ordered a case of the Motorcycle formula (for my three bikes & trailer) and an SUV kit for the truck. If this stuff saves me even once, I'll be a proud customer.

Ride-On seems like just the ticket to go with my tire monitoring system. I've been through two flats (rear only - knock on my wooden head) at high speed, and I don't ever want to go through it again. Too scarey.
Scott,

If I thought you would have belived anything a right wing zealot like myself would recommend, I would have told you about it long ago.

I just read about Clint Eastwood's twin movie project for next year. Wow, what a concept.

·
Registered
479 Posts
maward said:
Scott,

If I thought you would have belived anything a right wing zealot like myself would recommend, I would have told you about it long ago.

I just read about Clint Eastwood's twin movie project for next year. Wow, what a concept.
I don't thnk of you so much as a right wing zealot, but rather the Mayor of Crazyville :eek:

You can now add "hold-out" to that as well :D

I can't wait to pour that magic stuff into all of my tires.

Also, the two perspectives that Eastwood is presenting is a pretty cool concept. I saw something on the History Channel the other day that had footage shot by both Americans and Japanese during a battle in the Pacific. When it comes down to the men fighting, they're often very similar - both have families back home and do as they are ordered. I'm sure it will be enlightening. He's not exactly an unpatriotic fellow.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Loganfilm said:

ATTENTION:
Ride-On is NOT safe to be used with tire monitoring.
I had this question to Ride-On guys and they told me that both are not a good combination!!!.
sorry... I'm only the messenger :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
We work closely with Ford and Tire Pressure Monitoring is present on many of the '06's (maybe standard) and will be across the board soon. I think it is response to the Explorer roll-over issues of a few years ago. If I am correct, it will be a federal mandate to monitor tire pressure. (I don't know if that applies to bikes, though). As these systems go from novelty to standard equipment, you know the price will plummet. Right now, I am guessing those transmitters cost about $3 to manufacture and the receiver is probably less than $20.

And, if you needed a reminder on the importance of tire maintenance, these are some pictures of a team we tractor pull with. They were about 2 hours south of Tomah, WI on their way home to Farmersville, OH when they blew a tire in the Semi. No one was seriously hurt, luckily.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Loganfilm said:
The two perspectives that Eastwood is presenting is a pretty cool concept. I saw something on the History Channel the other day that had footage shot by both Americans and Japanese during a battle in the Pacific. When it comes down to the men fighting, they're often very similar - both have families back home and do as they are ordered. I'm sure it will be enlightening. He's not exactly an unpatriotic fellow.
The Newsweek article said only 200 of the 22,000 Japanese soldiers at the battle survived...Learning this is when Clint thought there must be another story to be told. I was not much of a fan of his in the early days, but my admiration has grown dramatically since "Unforgiven"... a film I really love.

The original book "Flag of our fathers" (I think that is right) was written by a WI native and he has gotten considerable air time around here the last year or two. I am anxious to see these two films.

Kinda like Kill Bill 1 and 2, but not.

BTW, I just saw "Saw" and really liked it. I must be in "Crazyville". My wife refused to watch it, she wanted to watch "The Color Purple" again.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dumb Question !

Nick_Brame said:
My understanding is that you should use the sealant before you get a leak; not after the leak. Did you repair or replace the tire?

Regards,
I actually put the sealant in the tire 3 weeks before I took my trip about a month ago... ! ! ! !

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
!

Nick_Brame said:

Regards,
Yes I did, and yes you always should install the product before you experience a leak ! I installed the product at least 4 weeks before my trip which was almost a month ago now..

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have emailed Ride-On and ask to be contacted.. I will try to post info from their reaction/suggestions, etc later..

thanks,

·
Registered
13 Posts
EzyMount said:
i have emailed Ride-On and ask to be contacted.. I will try to post info from their reaction/suggestions, etc later..

thanks,
Any news on this?

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Doran has no issues with Ride On with their sensors, inside or out. It does not fly around inside but rather coats the center.

It sealed a nail in my rear tire no issues and then with the plug I had no issues with it again.

I can only guess that the nail was off the center that Ride On will protect. It will not do sidewall at all. If you look at their information is shows you the portion of the tire it will protect. I don't know quantity but I buy the "three for" from them and use 1 bottle in each tire, keeping the third for the next tire.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It is quite an effort to put into the tires.

Loganfilm said:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts