BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is what causes ADMINS to go nuts as it most likely should go in Accessories (Tires???) but here's where the action is. I guess can be moved later.

I purchased the "Ride-On" tire protection kit but have been leery of filling my tires with anything other than nitrogen or air. So, if you have used the system, some questions:
1. When new tires are put on must wheels/rims be cleaned with some sort of solvent. The mfg says no but am looking ofr real world.

2. Have you experienced any problems with the process?
3. If you got a new bike would you use the system again.

Thanks in advance for those using the system.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ride on

I've been using Ride on for a while now with 2 tire changes (4 tires) done during that period. I point blank asked the guy at the Boise, Idaho dealership if it was a problem and he said not at all, just washed it out with water. The other person that changed them didn't say anything so I'm guessing he didn't have much difficulty either.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time to Move and Close

Moderator move to accessories if you wish. Two solid answers good enough for me . . . next weekend project.
Thanks for replies.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
:eek: You will want to call BEFORE you use it if you have Smart tire.
It clogs the sensors. :eek:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm getting the "Wheel and Tire " extended warranty from BMW when I pick up my bike this week. Does anyone know if "Ride-On" affects that policy?

Robin

·
Registered
677 Posts
jpalamaro said:
I have it in both bikes and all four cars.

·
Registered
233 Posts
John - "Ride-On" is an excellent product. There is no tire in my garage without it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
There was a pretty good thread a while back on Ride-On. You might search the archive and check it out. The responses were fairly positive.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sounds so good I just ordered three bottles from their web site.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not for me or my tires

I have a friend that used Ride-On and it corroded his rear rim. Don't know how it happened but his FJR rim had surface corrosion :eek: around the inside of the rim at the bead. He installed the product with his second set of tires. When he removed the tire for his 3rd tire the inside surface was badly corroded. He cleaned it up the best he could with a scotchbrite pad and has not used it since. He is now on his 6th or 7th rear tire and has not experienced any more corrosion.

I am not saying that the Ride-On directly caused the corrosion but having water in the tire did not help!

Water and Ride-On = corrosion. :(
No water or Ride-On = no corrosion. :)

I say stay away, FWIW.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Silly Ride On Question

I know I might get blasted for this but I'm man enough to take it.

Short of taking the tires of the bike and the rim, how do you know if your bike has Ride On added to it's tires? I bought the bike in April and I didn't ask the the Dealer.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rvb2 said:
I know I might get blasted for this but I'm man enough to take it.

Short of taking the tires of the bike and the rim, how do you know if your bike has Ride On added to it's tires? I bought the bike in April and I didn't ask the the Dealer.
The reply is probably just as stupid; I don't think you can know. Maybe if you remove one of the stem valves and inspect the end???

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
azsidewalker said:
I have a friend that used Ride-On and it corroded his rear rim. Don't know how it happened but his FJR rim had surface corrosion :eek: around the inside of the rim at the bead. He installed the product with his second set of tires. When he removed the tire for his 3rd tire the inside surface was badly corroded. He cleaned it up the best he could with a scotchbrite pad and has not used it since. He is now on his 6th or 7th rear tire and has not experienced any more corrosion.

I am not saying that the Ride-On directly caused the corrosion but having water in the tire did not help!

Water and Ride-On = corrosion. :(
No water or Ride-On = no corrosion. :)

I say stay away, FWIW.
This is the one that concerns me! Presume the FJR wheels/rims are aluminum alloy. I may call the "Ride-On" folks and just ask. Seems that a 'goop-like' product should be pretty inert in that it is neither basic nor acidic so wonder about this???

·
Registered
107 Posts
jpalamaro said:
This is the one that concerns me! Presume the FJR wheels/rims are aluminum alloy. I may call the "Ride-On" folks and just ask. Seems that a 'goop-like' product should be pretty inert in that it is neither basic nor acidic so wonder about this???

My friend contacted Ride-On and they told him that their product was tested and no corosion.... yada yada yada. All I know is what I saw. It wasn't pretty.

He may have had bare aluminum on the inside of his rim due to over cleaning the rubber residue left from the first set of tires. He used the scotchbrite pad to scrub the bead area because the first set of tires left some rubber stuck to the rim. Therefore he may have scrubbed through the paint in some places. Non the less, the addition of the Ride-On caused corrosion which does not occur if not in the tire.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Don't use with Smart Tire!!

I asked SMart Tire factory about this and they said any of the flat proof potions would stop up the tiny sensor vent holes.

·
Registered
382 Posts
jpalamaro said:
This post is what causes ADMINS to go nuts as it most likely should go in Accessories (Tires???) but here's where the action is. I guess can be moved later.

I purchased the "Ride-On" tire protection kit but have been leery of filling my tires with anything other than nitrogen or air. So, if you have used the system, some questions:
1. When new tires are put on must wheels/rims be cleaned with some sort of solvent. The mfg says no but am looking ofr real world.

No cleaning needed with what came in my tool kit on my 2002 KLTC. No problems with the process, glad I had it. It worked better than expected. Yes I would make sure it came on my next unit. As far as that goes I need to find out where to purchase replacement parts if not from my dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts