BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of riding around Lake Michigan this weekend leaving Friday the 13th early evening after work. I don't have to be back to Northern MI until Sunday afternoon.

Any comments on routes, things I need to see, do, or avoid???

Anyone want to tag along??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
Of course, there's M-58 in the UP between Grand Marais (Lake Superior Brewing) and Munising. WOW!
From "THE" bridge south, I hugged the western coast of the lake on 119, 31 (Traverse City: North Peak Brewing), 22, which will get you down to Luddington and beyond. South of Holland I got on the Blue Star Memorial Highway CR-A2 which runs into M-63 through St. Joseph and 12 until at the Indiana Dunes State park. Get on I-94 at entrance 15A.
Best of luck through Chicago. It's actually not so bad on the weekends.
The breweries I hit just for the Whitefish or Walleye sandwiches. ;-)

HTH,
Jer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
A small correction it is actually H-58 in the UP from Munising to Grand Morais. The center 25 miles is fresh pavement along Lake Superior. Don't miss. Watch out for the constables along US-2 in the UP. They will frown at you if you run much faster than 60 mph. It is actually more fun to slow down and enjoy the ride. It is 59F in Escanaba this morning. Bring your woolies!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
Dave, did I give you the UP Ride Guide back in May? If not, stop at the MDOT visitor center in St>ignace. I think they still have some. I am not carrying any with me this week. There are some alternatives to US-2/M35 around Lake Michigan in the UP, but they are a bit slower.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
wvpc said:
A small correction it is actually H-58 in the UP from Munising to Grand Morais. The center 25 miles is fresh pavement along Lake Superior. Don't miss. Watch out for the constables along US-2 in the UP. They will frown at you if you run much faster than 60 mph. It is actually more fun to slow down and enjoy the ride. It is 59F in Escanaba this morning. Bring your woolies!
The correction is quite correct. My bad. I get excited when I think of that ride. :D
I added the town names because, regardless of the name, it wasn't identified on maps. It is now on Google maps as Co Rd 58.

HTH,
Jer
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Michigan is no problem, I will probably take us2 all the way across. I'm more worried about the best way to get around chicago. Also I'm unfamiliar with wisconsin, my thought is just to stay as close to the lake as possible but just not sure, that's what I need advice on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
835 Posts
jers99lt said:
Of course, there's M-58 in the UP between Grand Marais (Lake Superior Brewing) and Munising. WOW!
From "THE" bridge south, I hugged the western coast of the lake on 119, 31 (Traverse City: North Peak Brewing), 22, which will get you down to Luddington and beyond. South of Holland I got on the Blue Star Memorial Highway CR-A2 which runs into M-63 through St. Joseph and 12 until at the Indiana Dunes State park. Get on I-94 at entrance 15A.
Best of luck through Chicago. It's actually not so bad on the weekends.
The breweries I hit just for the Whitefish or Walleye sandwiches. ;-)

HTH,
Jer
Here is a thought....
You can stay on U S 12 through Gary (It takes about 15 minutes. Nobody will hurt you) Then 12 connects to U S 41 which becomes Lake Shore Drive and then Sheridan Road towards Wisconsin. Interesting and quite beautiful too.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Chitown is no fun (for me) on a bike. I avoid it. Can't say much about WI as I have only gone east to west or west to east thru it. Not to hijack your thread but have you tried the Lake Huron circle route? Less traffic. It is a nice, easy ride. The ferry at Tobermorey (sp?) would be your only hang up. Cross at Sarnia to avoid Windsor/Detroit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Don't have any help for the rest of the trip, but I would avoid I-80 around the southern tip of the lake. It's like a war zone out there during the week. There's a cheap (well it was when I was up there working) toll road just north of it that doesn't allow semis.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I intend to head north friday evening. That would put me going thru chicago on sunday
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
dthogey said:
I intend to head north friday evening. That would put me going thru chicago on sunday
Then you might want to seriously consider Keith's suggestion about Sheridan Rd and Lake Shore drive. Very nice on an early Sunday morning. That's the only time I'd go through there.
Breakfast at Lou Mitchell's ... yeah! I might even meet you there.

Jer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
835 Posts
Razmataz said:
Don't have any help for the rest of the trip, but I would avoid I-80 around the southern tip of the lake. It's like a war zone out there during the week. There's a cheap (well it was when I was up there working) toll road just north of it that doesn't allow semis.
I don't know of any toll road that does not allow semi-trucks. I-90 (Indiana Toll Road/Chicago Skyway) certainly allows all traffic. Triple trailers get off in Indiana before the Chicago city limit. I-80 is now a 4 lane (both ways) highway south of the lake. I drive it every day; it's not all that bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
You have two boats that cross Lake Michigan. Why not take either one of them to cut off the southern portion of the lake (the bottom) and just take the scenic north one half?
dc
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
David13 said:
You have two boats that cross Lake Michigan. Why not take either one of them to cut off the southern portion of the lake (the bottom) and just take the scenic north one half?
dc

I think it's around $130 or so to take the ferry out of Milwaukee. The ferry out of Manitowoc would cut off too much of the ride for me. Plus I kinda want to say I rode all the way around!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Well, there is bragging rights to say I rode all the way around the lake. Then there is also bragging rights to say I rode down Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, passed the Playboy mansion (east?) or whatever else it is now. But there is also bragging rights to say I took the boat across the lake.
Anyway, post some photos after the events and occurrences and I will indeed look them over.
dc
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
katnapinn said:
HERE IS one leg of my trip from Austin to Duluth for CCR. From everything I could research it is a GREAT ride.

This will be a nice ride. I see you are going to bypass the tunnel of trees north of Harbor Springs. Have you been on it before? If not you should really check it out. It's M119 on the map.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wvpc said:
Chitown is no fun (for me) on a bike. I avoid it. Can't say much about WI as I have only gone east to west or west to east thru it. Not to hijack your thread but have you tried the Lake Huron circle route? Less traffic. It is a nice, easy ride. The ferry at Tobermorey (sp?) would be your only hang up. Cross at Sarnia to avoid Windsor/Detroit.

This is on my bucket list!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jers99lt said:
Then you might want to seriously consider Keith's suggestion about Sheridan Rd and Lake Shore drive. Very nice on an early Sunday morning. That's the only time I'd go through there.
Breakfast at Lou Mitchell's ... yeah! I might even meet you there.

Jer

Not quite sure what time I'll be going thru there, I'd probably know more Sat night! Not sure how far I'll get after work on Fri.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
David13 said:
Well, there is bragging rights to say I rode all the way around the lake. Then there is also bragging rights to say I rode down Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, passed the Playboy mansion (east?) or whatever else it is now. But there is also bragging rights to say I took the boat across the lake.
Anyway, post some photos after the events and occurrences and I will indeed look them over.
dc


You got it!! :thumb:
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top