BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to do my own research but I would like to opinions of the experts. What is the difference in the seats? I stopped by my dealer at lunch today and sat on a preowned LT that had a Mayer seat. I'm ready to buy my own but now I am confused.

·
Registered
836 Posts
A lot depends on your but.

Rick tends to be softer than Rockey. Rockey has no seams to bother your legs. Rick uses a top layer memory foam that molds to you.

Rockey will be my next one as he weighs about the same as I do and I really don't like seams under my thighs.

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
Saddle information, Poll and opinion, historical

Here is a link from the old website to give you some information on Saddles.

The poll was interesting and the opinions expressed were helpful as well.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I preffer Rick Mayer even do Rock is 400 miles close to my house.
Some one here on the forum once wrote about rock being a choise for the heaviers riders and Rick being a choise to the light riders... not sure on that, but my decision was based on Customer Service after I check both places.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mayer seats

I have had 7 seats on my 2003 LT.Rocky Mayer was number 6 and was the best of 1-5.Last Friday I had Rick Mayer build me a seat,and buy far his is the best for me. My search is over.I rode 600 miles home Saturday, none stop with almost no pain,at least no more than sitting in one spot all day.The leather is softer,the seat is softer,no more sitting on my butt bones.Full support,not to mention I can still touch the ground at 5'6" with a 28" inseam.
I will probably have Rick build one for my Harley to replace the Corbin.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Seat choices

I don't want to continually trash the guys name but I had a very bad experience with Rick Mayer and will personally never do business with him again.
If you want to know more, PM me and I'll give you more details

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have a Rick Mayer seat and am very pleased with it. I put 10.5K miles on it to and from CCR, including back-to-back 1K days on the return trip, all without a sore butt or sore back. It's the only after-market seat I've owned in the last 30 years (had a custom seat on a Gold Wing GL1000 about 30 years ago - can't remember who made it) so I can't give a comparison with others, but I'm very pleased with Rick's work.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Hopalong said:
How would you say the 'Ricky' seat compares to the custom seat on a '99 LTC?
There is absolutely no comparison! Rick creates a seat that is custom to YOUR butt, and for your SO even a backrest that is custom to your SO's back. Important? Ask my wife, and she'll tell you. She had 8 back surgeries, and Rick being an RN by trade does know where the points are you have to support and where is has to be softer. If and when I get another LT I'll have Rick make anoterh seat for us. That's for sure!

On top of that, I think he invented the term 'customer service'. Imagine this: After almost 2 years our needs changed. Me being heavierm and Lanette ahving another back surgery, so we needed some adjustments done on our seats. Talked to Rick, made an appointment, got the adjustment done and when it came to pay he only said with his smile: "That is customer service, no charge"

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a Rick Mayer leather saddle on a Concours and it was very nice, as was dealing with Rick all the way from Dallas, GA.
Haven't gotten around to getting one for the LT yet but if I do I will go to Rick again!

Scott

·
Registered
223 Posts
Rocky made a dual seat for my 2005 LT and my passenger was very pleased, I on the other had never got used to the seat. He asked if I could put about 5k on it as it would likely break-in. After about 5,500 miles I sent it back with a complete description of why the seat was not working for me. I was willing to give him a chance but I was not hopefull. I have only put about 400 miles on the seat so for but I am very satisfied with the results. The seat is firm, maybe even more so that before but I can move around to at least three different positions on this seat and have support and comfort in all positions. Rocky listened to everything I said in my letter and turned the re-do around in two days. Great service from a great guy!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just got my KonTour seat back from Ron. I had it made because I tend to get numb while on long rides. The new seat has helped a bit. I find I don't get as numb any more and I don't shift around as much as I used to. Part of it is the way I'm designed, meaning that I likely have a very superficial pudendal artery that supplies the area in question, so all the seats in the world won't completely eliminate the problem. One thing is wonderfully clear and that is that the heat shield works great! I no longer feel heat coming through the seat and at speed it actually feels like the air-conditioned seats in my car. I'll be riding up to Daytona this Friday, so that will be the ultimate test for me. As far as Ron's attention, I can say he was very patient and accommodating. I plan to send the passenger seat to him in the near future.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Rick is my choice - and I rode 1,000 miles each way to get him to do a seat. Not only is the seat VERY comfortable, he is very personable and believes in customer service. He uses his RN background to design a seat that fits the human bottom - PERFECTLY!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
"As far as Ron's attention, I can say he was very patient and accommodating."

That must have been my evil twin brother. ;)

Glad you are enjoying the seat, maybe you can re-route that artery?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I also have a Rick Mayer seat. I am very satisfied with the seat. However, I was not satisfied with Rick's service. It took over 1 month for him to build my seat, after I sent it to him in time for my "pre-arranged" build date and after 1 year the leather is loosing its color in several places. He seems to do well with drive-in builds but he doesn't hold to promised build dates very well. Good Luck.

Bill Wescoe
'00 LTC Canyon Red
'05 FZ1 Yamaha Blue

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am another member of the Rick Mayer fan club. The seat is great and he redid it for me after more that one year because he saw that it didn't fit me just right at CCR. Rick is doing something that he enjoys doing and he is a craftsman. I am happy to have his excellent workmanship as a part of my LT.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
I am a big fan of Rick Mayer. I have his seat on my GS and it is truly custom to my butt. I sell lots of new bikes and refer everyone who asks to Rick. Rick guarantees your satisfaction with your seat, if you don't like it and he can't tweak it for you, he'll only charge you for the materials. I don't think this happens very often:)

Go to his web site and and read about the different materials and types of seats he builds, it is interesting stuff...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Try a seat from Ron Miller

I have a seat from Ron. At first until I got it broken it was a little hard. But now after break in it's one of the best seats that I have ever set my butt on. About a month ago, I rode for 6 straight days in the TX Hill Country averaging about 300 miles a day without any problems. Another benefit, is the air circulation up from under the seat. My seat is not heated because that's the way I wanted it. I purhcased a non-heated seat from a member and sent it to Ron to build a seat for me. I still have my heated OEM seat and a heated Corbin as well. I know several others on this board that have had Ron build a seat for them and they all enjoy them.

Just my 2 cents worth...

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
Wow, Bruce, you must really love that seat. Four identical posts in four separate threads. I've never tried a Kontour seat, so I can only go by hearsay and what I've read.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
meese said:
Wow, Bruce, you must really love that seat. Four identical posts in four separate threads. I've never tried a Kontour seat, so I can only go by hearsay and what I've read.
Yeah Ken, he's bleeding me dry. $25.00 cash for each post sure does add up fast! ;)

Just wait until you see what we've got cooked up for next summer - it involves phase change nano technology. Really. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts