BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of enhancing my 99 LT performance and was looking at Rhine West Chip... however, it cost USD $400 !! not to mentioned on Remus Exhaust or Black Hole exhaust.. just to check does anyone here have experience on these items?

I also notice a "pull back" effect during acceleration.. it is more obvious when the temperature is high... as such, my acceleration is not linear.. i have initially thought that my FD is gone.. so i did a check by pulling back the rubber cover on and check for oil but none was visible but it bothers me..... anyone can help with this??

no oil sighted

·
Registered
114 Posts
The timing is being retarded because of high intake air temp. The fix on the 99 is to unplug the sensor.....(something I have been meaning to do on my 99...)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
which and where is the sensor located? will it cause other problem for the bike... i recall seeing some older post that it could be the old mapping in our ECU... to overcome it will need to update the mapping and cut some brown wiring... goodness....

·
Registered
114 Posts
On 99 just unplug sensor. Do a search on here to find exact location. IIRC on left side above left radiator. very hard to see and harder to reach.
I am waiting until I need to remove left side tupperware for another reason, to make access easier. Hasn't yet bugged me enough to do it as I don't often ride in heat or stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
caesarww said:
which and where is the sensor located? will it cause other problem for the bike... i recall seeing some older post that it could be the old mapping in our ECU... to overcome it will need to update the mapping and cut some brown wiring... goodness....
Read thru this thread and then at the very bottom, click on the first (similar thread) item of the two and you'll see picture of the air box temp sensor. HTH.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
On the subject of the other two questions... Remus and Rhinewest. Barbara came to me with both additions. (Thanks Grif! :wave ) As the story is told, Rhinewest developed the chip (that's Barbara on their webpage :D )

While, I've never ridden an LT any distance with out the pair, I will say, I could leave most anyone in my group quite effortlessly. If memory serves you only gain 5-10 HP, but it did make a difference.

The exhaust on the other hand (needed with the special chip) was a tad bit on the noisy side. I loved the sound, as it was distinct and nice, at low speeds it grumbled a bit too much. There is a fix (no removable baffles in mine) which was to shove a 2" SS tube down its neck. it reduced the sound enough for most of us Remus riders.

Bang for the buck? yes and no... I know that did not help, but going from an '00 with the pair to an '05 made the investment seem trivial. Keep in mind MY investment was nothing...

P.s.- if you know what your looking for, you can remove the air box sensor with out removing the tupperware. another mod that would help you is a new ECU. The mapping on the 99 ECU was changed in '00 to increase the "torque curve" if memory serves. :cool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have followed the thread and proceed to try in disconnecting the sensor connector while swapping both my tupperware and stingray with refurbished ones.... after much searching especially on the left radiator with the radiator cap, i still cant find the any visible sensors...

i am riding a 99 LT... so any possibility that mine is a brown wire instead?? it was a tiring day removing many fairings for the swap but fillied with great disappointment after i cant find the conenctor.... sigh....

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Been running my 2000 with a Remus for over 40K miles and NO chip upgrade.
Bike still runs GREAT and if I were to find fault ? ... would be bike runs a tad too advanced in timing now WANTING PREMIUM fuel only !! .... Get it hot, summers thin air and she pings at lower rpm under heavy load. Cooler weather and high elevations runs without issue.
Could NOT get myself to spring for the $400 Rhinewest wants.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,062 Posts
caesarww said:
Yup.. I find that 400 for a chip is a tad too much ... Almost half the cost of a Remus.... Now is to locate my air temp sensor which is no where to be found at the radiators..., :confused:
It is just behind the left radiator, on the front of the air box.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have been running the sensor off for over a year now and no adverse effects except more wear on my tires :D Get a flashlight and look just to the left of the radiator cap when viewing from the front. The wires you see are attached to the plug. Now get your pudgy little digits in there and unhook it! You wont regret it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 03 LT which is fitted with both the Rhinewest chip and a Remus exhaust - based in Florida in hot weather the bike had really bad engine pick up problems around 2000 rpm - I took the advice in this forum and disconnected the air intake temperature sensor - transformed the bike completely- no pick up issues and no issues with ignition retardation either. Problem then was during cold morning starts at or bellow 65 the engine was not happy until it warmed up - cure for this - I now have a simple switch on the stingray which I just switch the temperature sensor on for cold weather and once the temperature is above 70 just switch the sensor off - best of both worlds. only downside - Fuel consumption low 40's and the rear tyre wears!! But what the heck its a lot more fun to ride and the engine just loves to rev. Noise exhausts - just turn up the music on my Schuberth - that helmet is a lot quieter than the Nolan http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=624613#

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.