BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Thank you, and sorry you had that happen Redd. It's not that hard if you have a guide to follow and you keep track of your parts. It's just more time consuming than many are willing to commit to, but it was well worth it to me. I learned a lot about the front end assembly and will remind me of some steps when doing any related work.

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
560 Posts
Thank you Rainman for all your posts on installing Cyclops LED headlight bulbs.

After dropping not one, but two, bulb bases down in to the headlight housing I'll soon be removing the headlight housing to retrieve the bases and install a complete set of led bulbs.

The disassembly drawings give me courage to attempt the job.
Assuming that you're running a Wethead RT, send me a message if you get stuck or need help. I've got the service manual section on a PDF, plus some pictures if need be. Not sure what I may have previously written on this thread, but I installed some cheaper LED's I bought off Amazon, versus the Cyclops, but they both install pretty much the same. (Cyclops instructions may be all you need.)

· Registered
8 Posts
I just installed some cyclops low and highs on my 2018 RT. I read everything here and did my research. Still this bonehead went ahead and started to install with headlight in place. I started with the highs. I made it to the low beam, with mangled fingers, anger issues and a bit of salty language. I felt like a hero, with one more lamp to go. I figured I would post here how I installed all three and never took off the light assembly. Well my world fell apart when I lost the low beam retainer to the bowels of the light assembly. Could not fish it out, I even had paper towel stuffed in the housing to prevent this. So I began to dismantle as per instructions found here. Wow. Was that ever easy to do. I only recommend taking it apart and installing the lights. So much easier and you can see everything. No salty language, or anger. Once I started to take it apart and put back together with a supper break included it may have been 6 hours total. I took my time. Thanks to all who posted advice here.

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
560 Posts
I just installed some cyclops low and highs on my 2018 RT. I read everything here and did my research. Still this bonehead went ahead and started to install with headlight in place. I started with the highs. I made it to the low beam, with mangled fingers, anger issues and a bit of salty language. I felt like a hero, with one more lamp to go. I figured I would post here how I installed all three and never took off the light assembly. Well my world fell apart when I lost the low beam retainer to the bowels of the light assembly. Could not fish it out, I even had paper towel stuffed in the housing to prevent this. So I began to dismantle as per instructions found here. Wow. Was that ever easy to do. I only recommend taking it apart and installing the lights. So much easier and you can see everything. No salty language, or anger. Once I started to take it apart and put back together with a supper break included it may have been 6 hours total. I took my time. Thanks to all who posted advice here.
Lol, I tried initially to do with without the full front end dismantle, well, because I'm "special" and I don't have to do it the way everyone else does it. 🙄😏 However, on the first LH bright, after the disassembly process, I was trying to rig some sort of tie on the retainer (i.e. the sleeve that comes on the LED light, which is installed with the clips, and then the LED light slides into it), to ensure if I lost it, I could pull it back. I mean, how hard could it be to tie a piano wire to that sleeve, and then pull the knot to release it after the two clips are secured. I think SOMEONE could get their smaller hands in there to do that, but I finally figured out that (a) not getting that sleeve ain't gonna get fixed in there on the first attempt, or second, or ... many others, and (b) there was no way to tie a wire to it to prevent it falling into the BMW OEM light globe. AFTER I disassembled/reassembled the front end, and completed the install, I also figured out that wiring the LED lights I bought would be nearly impossible without the headlight globe off the bike. I've written (kind of too exhaustively) on my experience, but the bottom line is that the LED connectors stuck out at a 90 degree angle inside the light figure, resting up against the (off-center) plastic port. I had to use wire extensions, and rig the connectors so that the OEM harness would connect to the LED's.

Anyhow, it sounds like you had a whole lot more fun than I did with my install. It was just yet another reminder that while I have some mechanical aptitude, and CAN wrench, it's just not something that rings my bell. Every project like that feels like a death march, with 101 unexpected "problems" to solve.

· Registered
2022 R1250RT Racing Blue
61 Posts
Had the headlight kit done on my '18 work bike last week at the Cyclops shop. Guy just pulled the speaker covers and did it all from there (except the center low beam). Was done in just about 90 minutes.

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
560 Posts
Had the headlight kit done on my '18 work bike last week at the Cyclops shop. Guy just pulled the speaker covers and did it all from there (except the center low beam). Was done in just about 90 minutes.
two words "Tiny Hands".

(or, maybe he's using tools we didn't have).

101 - 107 of 107 Posts