BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
For the life of me I cannot figure out how this got into "The headlight assembly must be removed to install an LED bulb"!!!

Nonsense. If you can install a replacement bulb, you can install the LED bulb. I had to remove my headlight assembly...because I dropped the $#%^ adapter one of the LED bulbs I was trying to install into the housing.

Worried about carrying around a replacement LED bulb? Well so far I have over 30,000 miles, coming up on 40,000 miles on mine. I took out the spare I was carrying and put it on the shelf. Besides, all you have to do is stop in ANYWHERE that sells bulbs and get a replacement incandescent. Install it just like you would when replacing an incandescent. The LED light plugs into the same harness, there is no modification.

·
Registered
164 Posts
For the life of me I cannot figure out how this got into "The headlight assembly must be removed to install an LED bulb"!!!

Nonsense. If you can install a replacement bulb, you can install the LED bulb. I had to remove my headlight assembly...because I dropped the $#%^ adapter one of the LED bulbs I was trying to install into the housing.

Worried about carrying around a replacement LED bulb? Well so far I have over 30,000 miles, coming up on 40,000 miles on mine. I took out the spare I was carrying and put it on the shelf. Besides, all you have to do is stop in ANYWHERE that sells bulbs and get a replacement incandescent. Install it just like you would when replacing an incandescent. The LED light plugs into the same harness, there is no modification.
Just had my low beam go out again today and thinking about converting to LEDs. Has anyone installed this kit without removing the headlight assembly as suggested above?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just had my low beam go out again today and thinking about converting to LEDs. Has anyone installed this kit without removing the headlight assembly as suggested above?
I did my 09 RT without removing the headlight. It wasn't a big deal.

I also installed one in my 16 RT. The biggest trick is to not drop the f*&^ing adaptor ring between the headlight lens and the housing. I did this and it was a PITA to get it out. To prevent this from happening a second time, I put some duct take over the gap. With some patience and a little finesse, I was able to complete the job.

If you want more information, PM me and I'll talk you through it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Sure. Didn't you read Terry's (realshelby) testimonial above? Or the one below that? Perfect examples of what can and has gone wrong in tight spaces to more than one RTW owner. Losing the adapters into the headlight shell. That's one of the reasons I took the front end off,... so I didn't risk repeating his expert installation experience.

I admittedly was one of those who struggled with the BMW wire clips when I had my low beam halogen burn out, so no way was I going to attempt installing three bulbs that same way. Besides, to replace the high beams you need to remove the speaker covers and speakers, so you're maybe 20% done right there, and if the space for hands and fingers is even more cramped, I didn't want to find out. And, if for some reason you need or want to adjust the lateral beam pattern, you NEED to remove the side tupperware to get to the screw that controls that. Those are reasons I took the front end apart, and a recommendation I received from the vendor.

And I NEVER made the quote that Terry had in his post that you MUST take the front end off. Nor, did anybody else who left comments here say that. That's just what I did for those who might be interested, and I documented it for you all. I happen to love my bike(s) and love to tinker with them all and learn how they are put together.

YMMV.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
527 Posts
I've done it twice. It is a bit hard tucking everything in place. But it is do-able. To me, it wasn't that hard to necessitate removal of the assembly. But then again, I do have small hands...

·
Registered
6 Posts
sir when you say right side of assembly to connect can bus resistors, is it when you are facing the head light or when you and bike both facing same direction. i mean i am standing face to face against my bike than its on right side H1 or left side??

·
Registered
549 Posts
sir when you say right side of assembly to connect can bus resistors, is it when you are facing the head light or when you and bike both facing same direction. i mean i am standing face to face against my bike than its on right side H1 or left side??
In my experience, it is customary when referring to the left/right of the bike for it to be the same as the left or ride side of the rider when they are sitting on the bike. I believe that this is what BMW does in their parts fiche as well with respect to left or right.

In the case of the cyclops kit, when I installed the resistor on the right hand side, it was with me facing the back side of the headlight assembly. No canbus errors after a couple of months and several thousand miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two weeks ago, exactly 1 year to the day I picked up my 2019 RT, my front low beam headlight went out. It’s been a conundrum for me why this supposedly state of the art motorcycle has LEDs everywhere except for the headlights. Initially, when I first got the bike, I thought I would replace the low & high beams with Cyclops LEDs but after reading what a PITA it was to change them I decided to leave it alone until the low beam light went out. I had a 2010 Wing prior to the RT and installed LEDs after getting tired of replacing headlight bulbs every year. Installing LEDs on the Wing was a breeze! Now I had the dilemma of buying the relatively expensive Cyclops LEDs and facing the installation problem or simply replacing the halogen bulb with another halogen. I ruled out another halogen bulb as I would likely have to do this every year. Thus I bit the bullet I bought the Cyclops LEDs. After reading Rainman’s articulate and detailed report on the LED installation I recoiled in horror at all the parts on the floor of his garage in order to remove the headlight assembly. I thus convinced myself that I could replace the 3 bulbs without resorting to removing the front end of the bike. I was able to easily remove the burnt out halogen but soon became frustrated with securing the f**king, stupid, hateful spring clips over the installation rings that are inserted in the bulb cavity. I spent 90 minutes with this miserable spring clip. But I did it! Then, with difficulty, I reattached the screw on cover. The next day I started to replace the left high beam headlight and realized instantly that I was in for another round of doubled difficulty as there were 2 bulbs to replace - with the right bulb having the added PITA of stuffing in the Canbus thing into the cavity. I decided that I would have to remove the headlight assembly to complete the task. Using the instructions posted elsewhere on this thread I removed the Tupperware, speakers, etc. and removed the headlight assembly. It was a relatively simple step by step process. Once having the assembly removed I noticed that the low beam screw on cover was installed crookedly. I had thought I put it on correctly as it had felt OK. I quickly fixed this and the subsequent installation of the high beam bulbs was easy. Putting it back together was simply the reverse of taking it apart. I even had one screw left over! I’ll find out where it belongs if something falls off! I am pleased with the result and happy that these lights should last for years. Long story short: unless you have small hands and are extremely adept at working blindly (for the low beam bulb) in very small places, I suggest removal of the headlight assembly if you decide to install LED bulbs on your RT.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It has been about 9 months since I installed my cyclops kit. I removed the light assembly to install the led bulbs and then reinstalled it. The total job took about 4 hours. The light is white and bright.

I am very happy with the conversion.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I just recently removed the LEDs I installed last year and went back to halogen H7's Not as white but the beam pattern is so much better. I was getting flashed and middle-fingered all the time thanks to the glare they produced.

·
IBR# 366
16,656 Posts
Which LEDs did you use?

There's a ton of cheap Chinese crap out there that has subpar LEDs and poor alignment, which leads to more glare and less useable light.

There are a handful of higher-quality kits that drop in and mimic the halogen filament placement, leading to much better results.

Best thing is to come to threads/forums like this and get some real-world recommendations, even if you have to spend a little more to get something that is known to work.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Which LEDs did you use?

There's a ton of cheap Chinese crap out there that has subpar LEDs and poor alignment, which leads to more glare and less useable light.

There are a handful of higher-quality kits that drop in and mimic the halogen filament placement, leading to much better results.

Best thing is to come to threads/forums like this and get some real-world recommendations, even if you have to spend a little more to get something that is known to work.
Caveat: Maybe I should not have posted this here since I'm running a Camhead so the reflectors are completely different. I didn't realize this thread was Wethead-related.

I started with Advmonster, then Cyclops. Both had lots of glare. I then bought a pair from Ebay (i.e. cheap Chinese) and these were way better and only $30 delivered.

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
Caveat: Maybe I should not have posted this here since I'm running a Camhead so the reflectors are completely different. I didn't realize this thread was Wethead-related.

I started with Advmonster, then Cyclops. Both had lots of glare. I then bought a pair from Ebay (i.e. cheap Chinese) and these were way better and only $30 delivered.
It really doesn't matter what model bike you have, the fact is that if the reflector is designed for an H7 halogen bulb, then the LED bulb that you use, must have its emitters at the same relative physical location as the filament of the halogen bulb! There have been lots of discussions on the subject in the past, where someone even post pictures of the beam patterns of the halogen bulb as well as with the LED replacement. No difference, except of course, the LED was brighter.

I suspect that the problems that you have had, when you replaced your halogen bulb with the LED is that your headlight may have been adjusted a little on the high side. That, in itself, may be tolerable by other drivers when you had the halogen bulb, but becomes quite annoying with the brighter LED bulbs! Easy enough to check the alignment.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
527 Posts
I've watched a lot of these guys videos. This is all for truck/car applications. But it still applies for the most part. Check out the 3:00 section of this video especially, but the whole video is pretty good.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I suspect that the problems that you have had, when you replaced your halogen bulb with the LED is that your headlight may have been adjusted a little on the high side. That, in itself, may be tolerable by other drivers when you had the halogen bulb, but becomes quite annoying with the brighter LED bulbs! Easy enough to check the alignment.
Pad,

I am an engineer and am fully aware of how to adjust the beam height. The problem I had was that reflector housings designed for halogens do not work with LEDs. The beam projection of the three completely different LED designs (ADV/Cyclops/EBay cheapos) were mostly the same. Actually the cheapos were the best of the three ironically and were the ones I ran with for a year.

The problem with LEDs is the glare (that's bright white light projected above the horizonal cutoff line you get when using H7 halogens) blinds other drivers. Yes, it's very white and thus I can see better at night, but after a while I thought I was being a bit selfish and put the halogens back in to revisit the issue and found, much to my surprise, that I could see as well with them.

The LED are really good for one thing in my opinion: making other drivers see me. I have been running a set of Denali S4's mounted low on the engine guards in addition to the headlights (yes, I turned them off when I was comparing the LED to the halogens). After I switched, I turned their brightness up one notch at night and two notches up during the day. With this setup I have my visibility (other driving seeing me), I have supplemental white lighting (additional lighting on to the sides), and I'm not obnoxiously blinding other drivers since they are mounted low enough to not shine directly in their eyes (via their mirrors for example).

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've watched a lot of these guys videos. This is all for truck/car applications. But it still applies for the most part. Check out the 3:00 section of this video especially, but the whole video is pretty good.

Go directly to 3:27 seconds. ^^^THIS^^^ was EXACTLY how all three LED brands I tried looked.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just finished installing the Cyclops 3 bulb kit in my new to me ‘17 RT. I elected to remove the headlight assembly and am glad I did. I don’t think I could have done it without removing the assembly even though others have. The job took me 5.5 hours from start to finish including an hour or so for lunch and probably 30 minutes to put tools away. Looking forward to a relatively warm night to check out the superior lighting!

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Rainman48 - Thanks, truly thanks for your informative review. Now i am in position to fix the error light i got on my 2016 RT that i got after i replaced the headlights with LEDs. With your information i was able to replicate the cyclops set. All the best and ride safe!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
11/25/21
Happy Thanksgiving!
As the original thread author I'd like to report two things:
1) Post #18 shows ADJUSTED light patterns for the LED lights in case you missed it which brings the beam pattern down to nearly the same as the OEM Halogens.
2) It's been close to 2.5 years since I installed these Cyclops LED headlights, thousands of miles and trips including some night riding and I've never had a failure yet, and I don't recall even ONE flash back from cars thinking I'm blinding them.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts