BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Re: Review of Cyclops LED Headlights for Wetheads - Part 5

Thank you very much for this - excellent work, and sincerely appreciated.

Requiring this time & effort to peel down the front end of the bike just to change bulbs is, IMO, a really poor design, and not something you want to do on the road.

I currently have ADV Monster LEDs in all three headlights on my '18 R1200RT, installed earlier this year, and I'm not at all happy with them. I will be ordering a set from Cyclops as a replacement although I will wait the 45 days.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Great review and the pictures are professional quality. I plan to order these and do my2014 RT soon. Thank you for the guide to complete this next upgrade. You should consider sending this to Cyclops for them to post as instructions since no sites I checked had anything near as comprehensive detailing the installation as your post. Again I say, Kudos!
They are very nice people to meet and talk to.

You are right they may want to use that document and to offer it to them would be pretty cool.

It is a great write up for sure.

I am pretty sure the next year RT will have the LED that my GS has. So this issue will go away then for new bikes.
Cyclops Adventure Sports just posted my product review (including your comments) on their web site. They don't allow direct links to other web sites in their reviews, but those smart enough to cut and paste the URL into their web browsers will find this thread.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just a quick point, unless something very weird is going on the LEDs will both use less power and create less heat than the OEM incandescent bulbs. The cooling for LEDs is required because the LEDs are more sensitive to heat than a piece of metal (still tungsten?) that forms the filament in an incandescent bulb. No need to worry about more heat damaging your bike with LED lights. The only gotcha is the resistor, that COULD be hot since it is just turning electrical energy into heat so the CANBUS will not see low draw from the headlight and declare a failure.

LED/s sure is enticing because of their visibility factor, but that heat producing factor has me reluctant enough that I don't pull the trigger.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Well this sucks: Just got my kit for my '16 RT- no FM noise suppressor, no LED adapters. Went to call them (Friday), and found out that they are open M-Th only.

Good thing I wasn't planning on installing them for another couple of weeks!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Well this sucks: Just got my kit for my '16 RT- no FM noise suppressor, no LED adapters. Went to call them (Friday), and found out that they are open M-Th only.
from a post earlier in this thread by Rainman48 on July 18th: ... they will have a new driver for the lights available within 45 days that will eliminate any potential FM noise ...

There may be no FM noise suppressor because you no longer need one.

·
Registered
632 Posts
from a post earlier in this thread by Rainman48 on July 18th: ... they will have a new driver for the lights available within 45 days that will eliminate any potential FM noise ...

There may be no FM noise suppressor because you no longer need one.
Good thing that wasn't a snake then, huh? :)

Still doesn't explain the lack of adapters. But that's ok, I can wait for Monday.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
... "no LED adapters"
What are you expecting to find here N00bie? Adapter rings for the headlight assembly? Mine were black, not shiny metallic, and were already on the bulbs. They don't match the pictures in the instructions I got. His show an H4 bulb instead of a H1.

I told Darryl his instructions were outdated when I bought them and needed to be changed as the parts list and instructions are a little wonky.

You have to remove them from the base as shipped, then place them in the correct position on the head light assembly, and then secure them with those damn springs. Later, you just push the bulb through the adapter ring and twist. Wish BMW would have thought of this first, but then, that depends on bulb design and base for common halogens.

Hope this helps you or some others. Took me more than a couple of re-reads and comparing what I had in my hands to turn the "lightbulb" on in my head. :nerd:

·
Registered
632 Posts
What are you expecting to find here N00bie? Adapter rings for the headlight assembly? Mine were black, not shiny metallic, and were already on the bulbs. They don't match the pictures in the instructions I got. His show an H4 bulb instead of a H1.

I told Darryl his instructions were outdated when I bought them and needed to be changed as the parts list and instructions are a little wonky.

You have to remove them from the base as shipped, then place them in the correct position on the head light assembly, and then secure them with those damn springs. Later, you just push the bulb through the adapter ring and twist. Wish BMW would have thought of this first, but then, that depends on bulb design and base for common halogens.

Hope this helps you or some others. Took me more than a couple of re-reads and comparing what I had in my hands to turn the "lightbulb" on in my head. :nerd:
Yeah I got it now! When I first opened the kit and gave it a quick once-over, I was looking for the "traditional" metal rings used on bulbs. Now that I've had time to look the kit over more closely, I see the piece you are talking about.

And like Alegerlotz mentioned, it seems I have the "updated" kit that doesn't need the FM noise suppressor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the write-up. After having my 2018 R1200RT low beam go out last week (13K miles) on my trip to Florida, I placed my order today.
Thank you to the BMW dealership in Pensacola, FL for replacing the bulb quickly (less than 5 minutes). The bulb cost less than a dealer t-shirt. :surprise:
No charge for the installation. I was back on the road in 30 minutes (25 minutes was shopping for the shirt and talking with the friendly staff).

So my question is should we order a replacement LED low beam bulb to have if/when the LED fails? Not sure how long it would take to get the replacement or if out on the road?
Thoughts on this?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I really like the write up.
How long do you think the factory bulbs will last? My 2017 R1200RT has 22,000 miles and they are still working.
Also after you install the kit do they sell replacement led bulbs for their kits? It seems that installing replacement led bulbs could be a little easier than the factory bulbs with that spring thing.
It looks like buying the kit costs $233.83.
How long does the led lasts?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
One of the most important answers to that question, probably depends on how effective the built-in cooling system works, and if, in fact the led assy / cooling fan which is sealed inside the factory bulb enclosure, is not over the long term, affected by that sealed enclosure ? ?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
... So my question is should we order a replacement LED low beam bulb to have if/when the LED fails? Not sure how long it would take to get the replacement or if out on the road?
Thoughts on this?
You're welcome. I think there is more than one answer to that, depending on your personal risk factor and how optimistic or pessimistic you are about expected life. I don't have a spare LED low beam unit, mostly because it is pricey and bulky to carry, and also because I expect it to last a long time. A LOT longer than the 11K I got out of my OEM halogen. I live relatively close to the Cyclops provider, so I could ride an hour to get a spare if in my home turf, but expect a call from across the country and an expedited delivery could get one to you overnight if needed. I have no idea if your wethead will even act the same if the low beam LED expires. My experience with OEM failure is that when the low beam gges out, the right side high beam takes over automatically, and I rode for another 4+ days like that on a trip before I had a BMW dealer replace it during a 12K service - also for just the cost of the halogen bulb (at BMW dealer prices).

I really like the write up.
How long do you think the factory bulbs will last? My 2017 R1200RT has 22,000 miles and they are still working.
Also after you install the kit do they sell replacement led bulbs for their kits? It seems that installing replacement led bulbs could be a little easier than the factory bulbs with that spring thing.
It looks like buying the kit costs $233.83.
How long does the led lasts?
Thank you as well.
1) If you read more experiences here you should see that many RT Wethead users have failures of the OEM halogen type low beam bulbs somewhere in the neighborhood of 10K miles, +- 5K miles. My reading and research tells me other brands and other color output halogen bulbs don't do much better on this bike, and internet rumors float around that not waiting for the self tests to complete before starting the bike lead to shorter life. YMMV.
2) No, I don't believe they sell replacement naked bulbs - they sell replacement LED units complete with fan, base and driver - just like they come in the kit. They also sell the LED drivers, should they fail. There may be a lower price for just the LED emitter and fan unit, but I don't know. Worth a call if it's important.
3) Cyclops makes sure you know these LEDs don't have an infinite life, and they will fail at some point. The H1 & H7 lights come with a 1 year warranty (find THAT on a halogen bulb), and their literature and specs indicate the H1 has an expected 30,000 hour life span. YMMV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Excellent write-up and review! This is something I've been on the fence about, but, as with most people, partly due to the amount of time taken to do this, and not knowing just how long one might last. Or, for that matter, what happens when one goes out on the road. Halogens, while they don't last the duration of an LED, are more easily procurable. And can be installed without the full removal of the headlight assembly. I'm not sure I'd want to take on the full install on the side of the road, should such a failure occur. Again, hypothetical.

Would definitely be interested in seeing your experience, long term, on these lights and see what your thoughts are. But you're absolutely right - in that, everyone's mileage will vary from their riding style, to the amount of risk one is willing to take, etc.

Thanks again for taking the time to put together such a detailed install write-up, with the process for adjusting the beam pattern, close up pics of the headlights. Very professionally done!

Manoj

·
Registered
549 Posts
...And can be installed without the full removal of the headlight assembly. I'm not sure I'd want to take on the full install on the side of the road, should such a failure occur. Again, hypothetical.
The large project should only be necessary the first time you do the LED conversion. From what I've seen of the lights, etc..., replacing subsequent LED bulbs should be easier because the ring that the bulb is inserted into can stay in place in the housing.

Pull out the bulb, disconnect the power connection from old bulb, connect power to new bulb, insert bulb into ring at the same orientation as the previous bulb.

Am I missing something here?

Reactions: Bighopper

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: Review of Cyclops LED Headlights for Wetheads - Part 6

Absolutely Stellar review, documentation (and diligence!) I learned a great deal and am in the midst of a full renovation on a 2000 LT (currently in exploded view) I will be looking into Cyclops LED for sure.

Thank you for all your efforts,
Mh-King

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: Review of Cyclops LED Headlights for Wetheads - Part 3

I want to purchase these and install on my 2019 1250 RT however I can't seem to find any instructions anywhere on how to remove the bezel to install them. You refer to REPROM instructions. Can you tell me where you got these and/or can you share them so I am not working completely blind in my attempt to disassemble and reassemble the headlight bezel on the bike? No one including my local dealership has a service manual (apparently too new 2019) that I can purchase to get this information. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
RepROM is the BMW repair manual on DVD, and you can get them (for about $120+) from your dealer, or any BMW dealerships.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the clarification/explanation. I called the two local dealerships just to be sure and they both state that the 2019 1250 RT RepROM are not yet available (model too new). I'm guessing they figure that since the bike is still under warranty, most folks (I'm the exception :grin:) don't really need it so soon. Maybe sometime in the next 3-4 months. One suggested that the 1200 RepROM would be the same for the front headlight bezel removal, however, I don't want to pay for the 1200 version only to then need the 1250 version when it becomes available. Guess I'll be waiting to install the Cyclops LEDs until then as I certainly don't want to do it in the blind. :surprise:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
... I don't want to pay for the 1200 version only to then need the 1250 version when it becomes available. Guess I'll be waiting to install the Cyclops LEDs until then as I certainly don't want to do it in the blind. :surprise:
You might want to look at the following thread on this forum. There are instructions taken from the DVD RepROM in two different places in PDF format that show how to do this. I doubt there are any differences in the tupperware and front end between the 1200 and 1250.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/180787-rt-lc-headlight-assembly-removal.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
You might want to look at the following thread on this forum. There are instructions taken from the DVD RepROM in two different places in PDF format that show how to do this. I doubt there are any differences in the tupperware and front end between the 1200 and 1250.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/180787-rt-lc-headlight-assembly-removal.html
Thanks! That looks to be very helpful. Guess I know what I will be doing with my time off Thanksgiving week.
Much appreciated.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts