BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My reverse works for 1-2 seconds only.
I then have to release the starter switch.
Push the switch again and it works for another 1-2 seconds.---REPEAT.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ari,
Thanks for the link. I did search and got no where- even on the old site.

Looks like a high probability on the connection under the right fairing. will check out. Shame, I just had the plastic off Saturday.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Just had mine fixed

I didn't get lucky enough for it just to be the connector. Mine was the reverse speed sensor, but at least it was still under warranty. Took the dealer about 1.5 hours total to fix it.

My symptoms were exactly like yours.

HTH,

Ron

·
Registered
185 Posts
Reverse Speed Sensor

Same problem on my 2003. Was an issue from day 1 when I got the bike. I thought it was a feature, but later saw on this site that it was a problem. It was covered under waranty.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
David,

actually my problem was he same as Rons. The speed sensor was bad and not the connection. When you have the tupperware off and are working on the connector, check that the zip ties are not too tight and thus causing the wire or connector to loose connection. I had that problem alse, not with the speed sensor connector but with the fuel pump connector which is in same "pile". The wrench once pulled the zip tie so tight that the bike would not start. And the problem was located to the furl pump not getting power - due to too tight / wrongly placed zip tie!

Good luck with your search

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Speed Sensor

drmajor said:
My reverse works for 1-2 seconds only.
I then have to release the starter switch.
Push the switch again and it works for another 1-2 seconds.---REPEAT.

Any thoughts on this?
Same symptom. Mine was the speed sensor also. Covered under warranty. Need the part number?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Part Number

I have the same issue, Will be looking at the connections this afternoon when I get home.

Part Number on the speed sensor would be nice, please. thanks?

Is it something one can change it at home? or does it have to go to the dealer?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Nanoo Nanoo

ATLDB said:
I have the same issue, Will be looking at the connections this afternoon when I get home.

Part Number on the speed sensor would be nice, please. thanks?
34 52 2 233 490. Bare in mind, this was for an '05 however I would venture to guess they're all they same. ;)

Is it something one can change it at home?
I would think so. Have a repair manual?

or does it have to go to the dealer?

Thanks
Dealer did mine as it was under warranty. I waited for it as it only took them a couple hours. :eek:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
No big deal changing at home if you are familiar with tupperware stipping. Just remove the right side tupperware + the right footpeg chrome (or aluminum) panel and there it is.

Good luck

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thank you

Appreciated, going to check the wires today, if nothing then I will get a speed sensor and change it, hopefully that will be it. If not and the actual unit ends been the problem I guess the reverse on my bike will NOT get used. I hear a whole new control unit is VERY expensive.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I have a spare reverse control unit, if it comes to that. New price is $890, will sell for $400 plus shipping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts