BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I have a 2003 K1200lt problem just started I put it in reverse and press the button and my bike starts going back for 6 inches then stop.This continues for as long as I hold the button. Can anyone tell me what is going on? Or tell me where to start checking.

Thanks for any and all help
Ervin

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I recently read in another thread that this condition can be caused by a bad speed sensor.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Hi bmwcoolk1200

Thanks for the help. Do you know where the speed sensor is located at?
On my 2001LT it is on the top of the final drive. I believe 2002 or 2003 is when they moved it or combined it with another speed sensor so not entirely sure on your bike. If you have a wire running to the top of your final drive then that is it. If not, will have to wait till one of the heavy weights chime in like Saddleman or Sailor who have definitive information on all years and can tell you where to look.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Hi bmwcoolk1200

Thanks for the help. Do you know where the speed sensor is located at?
from the manual I have, it looks like it is at the front of the transmission on the right side if not on top of the final drive. This picture leaves much to be desired as it doesn't show a good pic of where to look in the expanded view. On older models, it is in a hole on top of the FD. See second picture arrow. Sensor is not in place but that is where it would be.

It is #5 in the diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again thanks to all of you for the help still at a lost as to what to check first. Or if it's the speed sensors on the rear or the trans. How is the sensor check? Also after reading some of post on this subject could it be a relay and if so where is the relay?

At a lost as to what to check first
Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi everyone

I have a 2003 K1200lt problem just started I put it in reverse and press the button and my bike starts going back for 6 inches then stop.This continues for as long as I hold the button. Can anyone tell me what is going on? Or tell me where to start checking.

Thanks for any and all help
Ervin
This sounds very much like a problem with speed sensor *signal* missing. That can be caused either by faulty sensor OR (also known problem) a problem in the connector coming from the sensor. What I am wondering is the "6 inches". Usually when this problem appears the bike moves few feets before stopping / requiring new push of starter button.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,350 Posts
If your sensor is disconnected or it is bad the reverse will work just as you described. A few feet and stop then you have to release the button and press it again. Normal operation is the bike will reverse as long as you hold the button.

First find the sensor and trace the cable up to where it plugs into the harness. If it is plugged in OK then the sensor is bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Jzieler

Thanks for the responce I order a new it is sensor coming this saturday. Hope for the best. Is there a way to test it?

Thank all you guys for all the great help I can't say that enough.
Ervin

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Check BMWcoolk1200s illustration . The first drawing. Its. #5 on the drawing. Thats your speed sensor. Change it,your good to go. I have an 04. Same problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi everyone

I replace the speed sensor but that didn't help. The bike still goes about half a foot as long as I hold the button down and the reverse light flashing while holding down the button to. The only thing I can think of is that it is either the wiring come from the main box to the sensor or the main box. Does anyone have info on that?

I am going on a 1500 mile ride with this bike does the reverse system affect any other system that could cause a problem out side of the backing up problem.

Thanks for all the help
Ervin

·
Registered
847 Posts
I ran mine for a year before I fixed it does not hurt a thing replaced the sensor and it was good to go; take it on trip fix it when you get back but I do think you have a bad conection to the sensor

1 - 15 of 15 Posts