BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to trying the reverse on my bike, and it behaves strangely (I think). It will run for a few seconds, maybe five, then quit. I can press the button and start it again right away. The idle goes up as expected and it does back up, but only for a few seconds.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
That is quite common when the reverse sensor goes out. Exactly what mine did! Mine was under warranty and the dealer fixed it in a matter of minutes.

When working properly it should continue to back up as long as you have the starter button depressed.

Ron

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yeppir... Reverse controller... tis bad... Wild Blue will be going for her sixth controller in about a week...

If you happen to get a new one and it works longer than 6 months, don't tell anyone about it. Seems the ones that work the longest are worth more than catalytic converters around here...
:)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huh...so it sounds like this is cheap and easy? Or just easy anyway?

Will it get worse? I mean, I see no reason to fix it really. I've never had to use reverse, and just messed with it to see if it worked. I can only see using it if I get myself stuck somewhere due to lack of planning.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,097 Posts
Cheap and easy??? With a BMW??? Often it is only the speed sensor on the brake side of the tranny ($157.00) that fails and causes this (could have become disconnected as well and worth a check). It could also be the controller ($1,345.00).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheap and easy??? With a BMW???
I don't know what came over me.

So does anyone know if it just stays this way, or gets worse/totally non-functional?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,097 Posts
It will just stay that way until something else fails. If you can live with short bursts of blazing reverse, you will be fine.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Mine was acting the same and Eugene, OR put forth the ideas presented here. After coming home, MAX found a loose connection down on the underside of the girl that fixed the problem.
Just could be a low cost fix. whod a thunk

·
Registered
635 Posts
calvarez said:
Huh...so it sounds like this is cheap and easy? Or just easy anyway?

Will it get worse? I mean, I see no reason to fix it really. I've never had to use reverse, and just messed with it to see if it worked. I can only see using it if I get myself stuck somewhere due to lack of planning.
There will come a time when you will need it... get it fixed.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will the location of the sensor and wiring be obvious when I get under the bike?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Exact same symptoms as mine had. My problems were caused by faulty connector (from sensor to wire harness). Heard that being a common problem. Now I have had the sensor i bought to replace the "faulty" one on a shelf four years waiting for actual need. So the faulty part was the connector. I just cut it off from the wires and welded the wires and voila' - reverse started to work OK.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you describe the location of the connector or how to reach it?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,097 Posts
Connector is under the right side tipover chrome cover. May have to remove that side of the tupperware as well. Beleive it is white connector IMSMR that is attached to the tubing frame.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Right side foot peg area. There are two screws that hold the speed sensor in and one wire coming out. I think the wire goes up from there.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I bought a used sensor off of ebay for 35.00...you do take a chance when you do that but so far it has not let me down.(9 months so far) Just my two cents... :cool:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While the bike was in for other service, the shop removed and cleaned this connector. Reverse now runs normally.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts