Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 K1200LT
Bike off the center stand.
Side stand up.
Engine running.
Transmission in neutral.

1) I can feel the actuator going in as it is supposed to. If I try to push back with my feet there is resistance also indicating the actuator has done its job.

2) However, the rpms do not pick up as expected (usually increase by 200-250 rpms).

3) The "R" dash light is illuminating.

4) There is no indication of any rearward force when I press the starter button.

From these symptoms I hypothesize the reverse controller is improperly hooked up (possibly when the dealer changed out the battery) or not functioning correctly.

What are the steps from here to ensure I fix the right thing or replace the correct component?

Thanks in advance to all you old salts with expert knowledge.

Wade

·
Registered
275 Posts
2009 K1200LT
Bike off the center stand.
Side stand up.
Engine running.
Transmission in neutral.

1) I can feel the actuator going in as it is supposed to. If I try to push back with my feet there is resistance also indicating the actuator has done its job.

2) However, the rpms do not pick up as expected (usually increase by 200-250 rpms).

3) The "R" dash light is illuminating.

4) There is no indication of any rearward force when I press the starter button.

From these symptoms I hypothesize the reverse controller is improperly hooked up (possibly when the dealer changed out the battery) or not functioning correctly.

What are the steps from here to ensure I fix the right thing or replace the correct component?

Thanks in advance to all you old salts with expert knowledge.

Wade
Check fuse #2 (10 amp) in fuse box #1.
It powers the Engine Electronics Relay, which shares a connection to the Reverser Control Unit.
There's probably a handful of other possibles, but with the dealer messing about with anything electrical, that's where my suspicions first take me.
Bob

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,068 Posts
There are three large Black/Yellow wires (10.0 mm) from the reverser controller. One has a red sleeve and goes to the battery +. Most likely this was left off since it is a Black/Yellow wire and not red. The next one has a brown sleeve - goes to the ground tie point behind the battery and the last one has a black sleeve and goes to the starter tie point behind the battery.

My bet is the one with the red sleeve was left off the battery + terminal.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts