BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still in the process of trying to diagnosis why my 2004 KLT fails to crank. Apparently a somewhat common failure involves the Reverse Interlock Micro Switches. I've located the male / female connector plug and am able to test the continuity between the individual female pin sockets. Am I correct in assuming each micro switch controls only one circuit loop? In other words, I should only get continuity between two of the four female pins / wires if one switch is closed and the other switch is open? I'm aware of the delicate nature of these switches and I'm not interested in dismantling apparatus if the continuity test is a true and accurate measure of their proper function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The weather here in Northern Virginia is perfect for riding and my bike won't crank?

Matt Malof
Falls Church, VA

·
Registered
68 Posts
Matt,

You are correct that the two switches are independent.

They are each single pole/single throw.

I'm at work and don't have my manual with me, but, if I remember correctly they are normally open. However with the "cam" mechanism that activates them one switch should be closed while the other is open and when the reverse selector knob is moved to the other position the other switch should close.

Harv

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Harv,

You confirmed my suspicions. My reverse interlock micro-switches open an close as designed. That's the good news. Now, I have no earthly clue as to why my bike won't crank. I've removed the starter relay and am in the process of figuring out if its working properly.............. more adventures yet to come, I suspect.

Thanks again,

Matt Malof
Northern Virginia.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts