BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
I doubt it, at least I've seen no mention of one in any of the press materials yet.

·
IBR# 366
16,606 Posts
dsg said:
If this is the replacement for our LTs do you think it has reverse gear
No reverse, as you'd have to give up sixth gear to get it, and no power center stand as it simply adds too much weight.

Other than that, this thing will do pretty much everything better than the LT . . . :bike:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'd be surprised if it does. And if it doesn't, that means some will have to be a little more mindful when parking it.

meese said:
No reverse, as you'd have to give up sixth gear to get it, and no power center stand as it simply adds too much weight.

Other than that, this thing will do pretty much everything better than the LT . . . :bike:
That's a bold statement from someone who hasn't even seen one yet, let alone ridden one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
meese said:
With all the additional power and torque, 6th gear is totally unnecessary. Just spread the existing 5 out a little more.

I'd much rather have the reverse.

That they left it out is (to me) another sign that BMW sees this as more a Sport Tourer than a Luxury Tourer.

Power Center Stand? Cute, but unnecessary unless they supply the same Ejector Stand they have on the LT; the only bike I ever owned where I had to be sure to park in first gear if I used the side stand.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
bibleman said:
With all the additional power and torque, 6th gear is totally unnecessary. Just spread the existing 5 out a little more.

I'd much rather have the reverse.

That they left it out is (to me) another sign that BMW sees this as more a Sport Tourer than a Luxury Tourer.

Power Center Stand? Cute, but unnecessary unless they supply the same Ejector Stand they have on the LT; the only bike I ever owned where I had to be sure to park in first gear if I used the side stand.
A close ratio 6 speed gearbox is very nice to have, even on a luxury touring bike with sport touring aspirations (which this thing obviously has a strong lean towards). I always felt the 5 speed on the LT was spread too far, especially in 4th and 5th, and on all three gearing configurations they ran (I owned one of each).

So far I haven't seen them market this bike as a "Luxury Tourer" in the ilk of the LT or the Goldwing. With a 29 inch seat height and all the baubles that are coming from the factory I think they are aiming partially at that crowd, but they are also trying to open that market space up to a younger 2-up crowd as well. Talk to Harley about their aging demographic if you want an example of digging a hole, which I feel BMW is trying to avoid, and in a good way IMHO.

In the end, if a heavy, 5 speed touring bike with reverse is what you want, you can probably get a great deal on a '10 LT. :D

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
dsg said:
If this is the replacement for our LTS do you think it has reverse gear
Nope -- if you look at the location of the starter and the arrangement of the gear drives of the starter and the tranny, it's clear that they can't do something like they did with the LT, where the front of the starter motor drives the flywheel, and rear of the starter motor drives the tranny once the reverse gear inside the tranny is shifted into engagement.

On the GT/GTL the rear end of the starter faces toward the left side of the bike (i.e., not connected to anything, and there's nothing in the area for it to engage anyway), and there's no room for additional gearing between the starter and the rest of the gear train, nor any room for addition of a reverse gear train inside the gearbox portion of the case. (and they can't drive in both forward and rear directions from the front of the motor; even if there was some way to spin the motor backwards to drive the tranny in the reverse direction, the start's sprag clutch would keep it from appliying any reversing torque to the drivetrain).

I figured BMW left the reverse feature out because they felt that they had adequately compensated by giving the rider an additional inch lower seat -- so that your legs can apply more reversing power to the ground :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
A close ratio 6 speed gearbox is very nice to have, even on a luxury touring bike with sport touring aspirations (which this thing obviously has a strong lean towards). I always felt the 5 speed on the LT was spread too far, especially in 4th and 5th, and on all three gearing configurations they ran (I owned one of each).

So far I haven't seen them market this bike as a "Luxury Tourer" in the ilk of the LT or the Goldwing. With a 29 inch seat height and all the baubles that are coming from the factory I think they are aiming partially at that crowd, but they are also trying to open that market space up to a younger 2-up crowd as well. Talk to Harley about their aging demographic if you want an example of digging a hole, which I feel BMW is trying to avoid, and in a good way IMHO.

In the end, if a heavy, 5 speed touring bike with reverse is what you want, you can probably get a great deal on a '10 LT. :D
David, while I respect your opinion, consider the following:

1. Spread on the LT was more pronounced because the bike makes HP but not torque. With the torque the GLT is reported to make, a wider gap will not be a problem. Just twist the grip and hang on. My Wing makes the kind of torque that the GLT is supposed to make, and to be honest, I could do with a 4-speed. In fact, I do often, but starting out in second gear.

2. BMW, as well as many other companies, are already making plenty of goodies for the kids. Bring up Harley is kind of a red herring because ALL of thier line is dated (except the V-Rod). The LT was not turning BMW into HD. Younger two-up couples will probably not be able to afford this anyways. With few exceptions, these toys are usually scooped by DINK's.

3. "heavy"? The GLT is not that much lighter than the LT. I suspect you will find many a couple doing the "Harley Shuffle", where the wife has to get off first and push hubby back into a parking space. It's a rather attractive dance (not).

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
GTL does not seem to have rear speakers either.

meese said:

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Park facing uphill. Isn't that what we all did prior to reverse gears? While I admit reverse is a nice feature, it is not a necessity. Having a more stable platform in a parking when you are two-up and loaded for a 2 week trip is a better option I hope will be there with the GT/L

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
MattKas said:
GTL does not seem to have rear speakers either.
Not much of a concern for me with the flip-up and headseat...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Somehow, in days of yore, riders got by without heated grips, heated seats, windshields (much less raisable windshields) and cruise control. And, dare I mention, reverse gear and electric center stands. My, how we complain now that we have become used to them. Okay, so the 1600 series dosn't have what everybody would like...but they do have a lot of nice goodies and a lot to like. So we'll just have to live with what we get. What a problem? :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
sorchilla said:
Park facing uphill. Isn't that what we all did prior to reverse gears? While I admit reverse is a nice feature, it is not a necessity. Having a more stable platform in a parking when you are two-up and loaded for a 2 week trip is a better option I hope will be there with the GT/L

I agree. As a matter of fact, our group has a standing rule that anybody that gets into a parking spot head-down, and has to have somebody push them out, buys the "reverse gear" whatever meal or drink of choice is up next . :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
sorchilla said:
Park facing uphill.
That doesn't help me back the thing into my garage every night like I do with the LT.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I never back my bike into the garage; I just pull straight in. To get out I back it out while turning full-lock until it's turned 90 degrees outside the garage, then I shift into gear and ride off, completing the other 90 degrees of the turn. Really simple.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
That reverse has got me out of a few Jams. Especially in gravel driveways were its too narrow to turn around.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
mwnahas said:
That reverse has got me out of a few Jams. Especially in gravel driveways were its too narrow to turn around.
So, with a GTL you will have to actually think before turning into a narrow gravel road.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
®win said:
So, with a GTL you will have to actually think before turning into a narrow gravel road.
Yep so don't go there unless you have an LT. :p

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use reverse to back the rear tire up onto a 2x4 to help get the bike on the centerstand. My bike is 2003, of course the newer LT's have the electric center stand. The GT/GTL has neither. It would have been nice to at least have the electric centerstand.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
AlanLT said:
That doesn't help me back the thing into my garage every night like I do with the LT.
Same here!! It is a little up hill with a 2 inch lip going into my garage. I guess I'll just have to get my fat ass off the bike & push. :histerica

1 - 20 of 31 Posts