BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:mad:

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips of how to disengage reverse gear? Day two owning this bike, reversed out of the garage, when to disengage reverse - lever will not move, have tried rocking back and forth, clutch in / out, ignition on /off. 2007 LT with 114 kms.

Any ideas? Bike will not go backwards, I was only able to push the bike forward back into the garage. Of course the engine will not start now. There goes my Sunday ride!!!

Is there an electronic interlock? or is this more likely to be a mechanical problem?

I should call BMW and demand a brand new bike- extremely disappointed to have a tow truck style failure this early!!
Cheers,

Brendan
Sydney Aus

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hi Brendan,
Very disappointing indeed...and you should well feel upset, but like anything brand new, there are often a few initial dramas before things sort themselves out...so please don't burn the bike just yet.

Whilst others might instantly recognise the problem, I would have suggested all the things you have already tried...particularly rocking back and forth... It may be a very simple fix and no doubt one of the legends on this site will come to the rescue. Good to see you on the site and you would be welcome to join us at the Australian forum...

Ian

·
Registered
749 Posts
I saw a cut-away LT engine and transmission at a dealer and the reverser is not an electronic item but rather mechanical in the transmission. Be gentle with it and I am sure that you will be able to solve you problem, perhaps with another helping hand.

Send me that airline ticket and I'll come help you!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

i've tried rocking the bike back and forth whilst someone else tried to move the lever. No luck. Looks something is broken...

Cheers,

Brendan

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Be sure you have the side stand up and sitting on the bike when you try to move the reverse lever.....then rock it gently back and forth. Bike will not start with the side stand down and reverse engaged.

HTH,

Ron

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Make sure the bike is in neutral. Don't just go by the indicator light. I had mine light up saying it was in neutral but it was in fact in 1st gear. Try moving the shift lever up, down, then back to neutral.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am having the same problem. I purchased my 07 K1200LT and second day out I tried the reverse. It worked well but I was unable to get it out of reverse. The bike will only starts if I hold the knob all the way fwd. This was Saturday, on Tuesday had the bike towed to BMW dealership. They did an initial inspection and could not get it out of reverse. On Friday they removed the covers and said the problem was in the transmission. They ordered a new transmission that day. On Wednesday BMW rejected the initial order and requested the dealership open the unit and do some detail inspections. I called BMW customer service and told them the problem and stated they should send another transmission. This way they could determine the problem and might find this is happening to other 2007 bikes. They said no and I would have to wait on the dealership. I checked on the progress of my bike yesterday and they said the only mechanic certified to do this work is on vacation to next wednesday. Everyone at the dealership stated they have never seen a problem like this before. Is there anyway to contact other 07 K1200LT owners to see if this problem is widespread or to share the solution.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bugger,

i was hoping someone wouldn't say that the transmission needed to be replaced. If this is the case with mine, which I think it may well be as the gear lever whilst moving, is not engaging, I will be asking BMW Australia for a new bike. It's unacceptable to have a bike die with a faulty transmission on day two.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I'll post the results of the postmortem when I get the bike back to the dealer.

Cheers,

Brendan
Sydney, Aus

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hi guys,

as it seems this problems must be a result of some recent factory "product development" or somebody had a bad day on the assembly line. Judging from the lack of comments this seems extremely rare among older bikes.

Sorry to hear about this kind of annoying problem in the very beginning.

I hope you get it fixed soon.

Regards

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good News - fixed....for now

Hi,

Rang the dealer this morning they had never heard of an LT getting stuck in reverse, they then called BMW Australia, they also had never heard of the problem. The sales manager called by my house on his way home from work, confirmed that the selector was indeed stuck in the R position. After some quick removal of the the lower fairing it was decided that the brute force option was going to be used, this was an option that I was understandably reluctant to try myself. So a shifting spanner was used on the square shaft to engage the F position.

So, for the time being reverse is working normally. I'll make sure that the shifting spanner and T25 are always with me (part of my toolkit anyway) and we will see how it goes.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and the opportunity to vent! Also thanks to the sales manager from my BMW dealer. For the Sydney based readers the dealer is in Hornsby. :dance: :dance:

Cheers,

Brendan
Sydney, AUS

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am glad you are back riding again. It is Monday here on the east coast and all BMW repair shops are closed. I will share this information with the service manager on Tuesday. Thank you for the update and I will post finding tomorrow.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Pull in the clutch & you can move the bike (if not already done), place bike on center stand in a level area, then have a mate gently rock the bike while you attempt to disengage the lever.

This happens to mine often, if it's on a grade - frustrating, but it will pop out.

·
Registered
507 Posts
cpostell said:
Is there anyway to contact other 07 K1200LT owners to see if this problem is widespread or to share the solution.
I have an 07' with only 400 miles on it and have used reverse without a problem.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have 1400 km on my 07Lt and have used the reverse a number of times. So far no problems with it.

If the bike were mine I would be asking the dealer to fix it as you should never have to apply "BRUTE FORCE" to disengage the reverse on an LT.

Ken

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aussielt how is your bike since the repair? It is Wednesday, the BMW Technician is back from vacation. I wanted to share your information on using brute force, but all the threads are missing. Would you repost or email to me directly. My 07LT has been in the shop for three weeks now and I really want to ride. Thank you. :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts