BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reverse knob hooks allright, when starter is applied it makes a soft noise but the bike does not move back.
Before I take it apart (expensive), since I am in foreign country and parts take a long time to arrive, ¿is there a typical gear that usually fails? I am thinking I could order it in advance.

Any help would be appreciated,

Best regards, Viviano.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
The reverse knob hooks allright, when starter is applied it makes a soft noise but the bike does not move back.
Before I take it apart (expensive), since I am in foreign country and parts take a long time to arrive, ¿is there a typical gear that usually fails? I am thinking I could order it in advance.

Any help would be appreciated,

Best regards, Viviano.
Viviano, there is not a gear that fails. To make sure that the reverser is engaging properly, you can with the bike not running and turned off, you can engage the reverse with the bike on the center stand and then try and rotate the rear wheel. It will be fairly hard to rotate but you can with a little force, hear the stater turn as you turn the rear wheel in either direction ( slight whirring sound ). If the rear wheel rotats freely, then the reverser is not engaging. If you can hear the starter turn by turning the rear wheel, then you have an electrical issue and not a gear issue.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
165 Posts
This may seem silly but check the red (or is it brown) wire for reverse to see if it is attached to hot side of battery. Some times these get switched and the reverse will not work as the reverse motor gets no power. Just a check.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Brown is always ground, the red is hot 12 DC +.

Reactions: Patric

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
What he meant to say was check the big black/yellow wire with the red sleeve as that is the one that goes to the battery + terminal. The black/yellow with the brown sleeve is the ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts