BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2000 1200LT for almost a week now. And, I've been daring enough to try the reverse. About 20% of the time, I reach down and flip it into reverse, press the starter button and the bike backs away.

The other 80% of the time, the switch won't move to the Reverse position.

Can anyone shed light into what I'm doing wrong?

My process:
Bike is running.
Bike is in Neutral.
Flip the Reverse selector (sometimes works)
Press starter button
Bike goes backwards
Flip the selector to Forward
Drive away.

Thanks.
Dave

·
Registered
475 Posts
Motor running, in neutral then rock bike back and forth as moveing switch to reverse. Works for me!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
There is a hard lockout that prevents it from moving unless you are in neutral. Then you have a straight cut gear that must slide onto the transmission output shaft. That is where rolling forward or backwards a little bit helps as Ron pointed out.

·
Registered
679 Posts
not to overstate the obvious, but you can't have the kick stand down when you do it either

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, folks.
I was rocking and rolling before, but evidently not enough.

Since the end of Cincinnati Reds' season (around 5:30 pm today) , I'm now 3 for 3 on getting it into reverse.

Dave

·
Registered
493 Posts
You can also tap the start button if moving back and forth is not an option. This is how I engage it every morning backing out of the chock I park in.

Regards,

·
Registered
577 Posts
There is always K-Y jelly. makes the boat very slide able and able to get in better

·
Registered
795 Posts
Just like my old man told me, sometimes you just gotta jiggle the handle to get it to go down :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts