BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have observed that most senior members here do not use the reverse or at least avoid using it on the LT. Is it just a driving habbit that got carried over from earlier non-reverse bikes or LT doesnt like to be used in reverse?

I tend to use the reverse almost twice a day due to my low inseam and it helps me to backup from a parking/driveway. I use it approx 15-30 seconds twice a day. Hope I am not causing a slow harm to my LT.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I never hesitate to use reverse. If I'm parked where I need to back up in an uphill direction I just use it. Never even think twice.

Go in peace. I don't think you are hurting it a bit.

Loren

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have never seen anyone say no to use reverse.

I don't have to use it often since I live in Florida AKA Flatastan.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I consider myself a senior and I use reverse everyday to back out of my garage. :bmw:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Without the reverse I would have ridden the bike onto my driveway when I first arrived home and it would still be there !
It is a fairly steep downhill and I cannot even haul the Commando up it so the LT reverse gets used for what it is designed for. And that is the key point, it is there for a reason so just use it and surprise all the people who have never heard of reverse on a motorcycle.

Tony

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
vernvernvern said:
I consider myself a senior and I use reverse everyday to back out of my garage. :bmw:
Me too Vern. If I didn't have it, my bike would be sitting outside all the time with a cover on it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm 45 and I use it alot. I love all of the comfort items, and use 'em!

·
Registered
989 Posts
LTFan said:
I have observed that most senior members here do not use the reverse ...
Really?
vernvernvern said:
Contrary to opinion of others, I DO NOT consider myself a senior. Still, I consider the reverse the best invention since sliced bread.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hell ya a Senior and MOST DEFINITELY use the reverse gear !!
And until either I die, can't ride any longer or BMW catchs a clue ? and starts putting one into future luxury class touring bikes it produces, the LT will be the ride to have IMO.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,410 Posts
I find it very useful in gravel if I need to back to get ready for a water crossing on the LT. But then that is what I bought the GS for...

I use it alot as I have to roll out of the garage and then back up on a sloped driveway to have enough room to manuver.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am lazy. I love using reverse. Used quiet a bit about a month ago in the Smokies :dance:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think it's pretty much unanimous - seniors use reverse! :yeah: I use it everyday backing into my garage.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I use mine if I am on and incline but on the level I normally can just move it with my legs
I will use iy though without reservations if needed.

ride safe doods ! :D

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That's what it is there for.
I use mine anytime I am making that move. I am a victim of habit. At home I back car into garage just in case of mechanical attention is needed. Goldwing was a labor up the incline apron but ditto reverse. So now along comes LT with a reverse and 850 pounds as a bonus. Away from home I select my spot and if safe accomplish the same to properly berth on CS. No brainer. Old timer only if a SEXagenarian qualifies :histerica
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I don't use 'Reverse' a lot...BUT, when you need it cause you parked in gravel or sand, or facing downhill, you WILL be HAPPY you have it! :bmw:

It also worked great 'backing' the Bushtec into parking spaces!

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I am so old, the dead sea was just getting just sick when I was born, and I only
use reverse when I have to....... like backing up.
Your question about causing damage to the starter motor when reversing was something I've always wondered about. My guess is that yes, it may cause wear on the starter..... but it's better than falling over in a gravel parking lot.

Anyway, thanks for asking that question.

Chris

·
Registered
476 Posts
JATownsend said:
I don't use 'Reverse' a lot...BUT, when you need it cause you parked in gravel or sand, or facing downhill, you WILL be HAPPY you have it!
I parked my VTX (with no reverse) in sand up near Sault Saint Marie. Had to ask for help from two BMW K1200LT owners who parked next to me to push me out, coz there was no way I could do it on my own. My two buddies reversed out without issue. I got pushed out with a red face.

Now I also own a K1200LT, I love the reverse function....!!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
wa1200lt said:
I never hesitate to use reverse. If I'm parked where I need to back up in an uphill direction I just use it. Never even think twice.

Go in peace. I don't think you are hurting it a bit.

Loren
+1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts