BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search of the owner's manual PDF and did not see reference to an engine RPM rev limiter feature. Anyone know if one, other than your own wrist exists?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Danno said:
I did a quick search of the owner's manual PDF and did not see reference to an engine RPM rev limiter feature. Anyone know if one, other than your own wrist exists?
Yes, it has one. Has nothing to do with the "speed" limiter on the GTL, just protects the engine in case of over rev. I've only hit mine twice, both un-necessary, but Hey, stuff happens :histerica

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
NOT hitting a rev limiter once in awhile means you're not riding the bike properly. Period.

FWIW, I don't think there's been a bike manufactured since the early 80s that came without a rev limiter. Every bike I've owned since '82 has had one. And yes, I "bapped" against ALL of them. :cool: :bike:

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,005 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
NOT hitting a rev limiter once in awhile means you're not riding the bike properly. Period.

FWIW, I don't think there's been a bike manufactured since the early 80s that came without a rev limiter. Every bike I've owned since '82 has had one. And yes, I "bapped" against ALL of them. :cool: :bike:
Actually it sounds more like "bapped,bapped,bapped,bapped,bapped,bapped" ;)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
saddleman said:
Actually it sounds more like "bapped,bapped,bapped,bapped,bapped,bapped" ;)
Yep ... that's it. ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I searched for the speed limiter recently and still have not found it. My wife and I recently did a fully loaded (both side cases and top case), two-up blast on a 5 mile straight going west towards Scotty's Castle just outside Death Valley, CA. I rolled off of it as the tack hit 7,000 in sixth. The GPS tattle tale indicated 135 MPH and I felt that was more than fast enough for me. I was totally amazed because the bike gave no indication of wanting to top out or stop accelerating. It was still pulling hard when I reached my nerve limit (especially under the loading conditions). My wife was game for doing a re-run to find it, but she's crazier than I am. I was pleasantly surprised that the bike would run that fast for one and that BMW had not limited it an overly conservative level. The bike just gets more impressive all the time :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just accelerate hard in 1st gear until you hit the rev limiter. Should be just shy of 70 mph. :D

·
IBR# 366
16,592 Posts
Tiger955 said:
The rev limiter???? Isn't that the poor mans quick shifter? :rolleyes:
Nah, it's just the idiot light for bad riders who don't know how to properly run out an engine without bouncing it off the safety limit . . . ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts