BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone reuse valve cover gaskets?

it is rubber and looks to be in very good shape....
I am thinking about giving it a shot...

thoughts?
:corn:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
CLEAN all surfaces of gasket and head with a degreaser then apply a small quantity of sealant along gasket entire sealing surface.

The rubber may look good but it has been compressed and likely won't have the same sealing properties as new :(

For the hassle factor, don't ride a 20K motor bike and get cheap on a $30+ gasket ( yea it"s MAJOR $$ rip cost wise )

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Yes, it can be re-used. I have done so many times and have yet to experience any leaks. If there is any deformity or damage visible of course replace it then.

John
johnT said:

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
johnT said:

thoughts?

I reused mine several times...no problem.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,976 Posts
I have had my valve cover off many times & still have the original gasket on at 133,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Agreed on re-use -- don't forget just a dab of sealant at each of the corners of the half-moon sections.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,090 Posts
I don't recommend putting sealant along the whole gasket. Just put sealant at the sharp breaks on the half moons and the two spots where the timing cover meets the cylinder head.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Agree! No need to apply sealant anywhere other than the half moon areas and just a smidge where there is a mating split between the timing cover & the engine. That is a pretty robust gasket with ribs running the length of it. One item they really did design right!

John
jzeiler said:
I don't recommend putting sealant along the whole gasket. Just put sealant at the sharp breaks on the half moons and the two spots where the timing cover meets the cylinder head.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
jzeiler said:
+1 :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
The gasket is around $100.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
johnT said:
keep a $100.00 valve cover on hand?

:crazy:
Man, I gotta remember to lock the toolchest - 200 bones worth of gaskets!! :eek: Last time I bought one, they were around 38 bones. Boy, Russ is gonna wanna send me an invoice for the one he gave me when he sold his LT!! ;)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
120,000 miles, bought one valve cover gasket, and really could have done just as well without that one.

As others have said, use a LITTLE sealer at the corners of the half moons, and the tiniest dab on the timing cover to block joints. No need for ANYTHING else on the gasket surfaces. Best to put the cover on CLEAN, not even oil on the sealing surfaces. You want the rubber to contact CLEAN metal surfaces, without oil on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts