BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was showing my wife the pictures of the K1600s in the latest issue of BMWON. Show looked at the dash picture on page 69 (at least it would be 69 if all the pages had numbers) and said "that looks like something in an old car." So much for the "state-of-the-art" K1600...:rotf:

The sad part is, I have to agree with her. Why go retro on the dash for such a technologically advanced motorcycle?

·
IBR# 366
16,606 Posts
It's simply state-of-the-art electronics and full-color displays wrapped in a Retro design.

I'm not sure it's my favorite style either but honestly, it's such a small part of the overall riding experience that I really don't care too much . . .

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Easy-to-read, big, round gauges may be retro for a reason. They just work. Personally, I like the mixture of retro and high-tech. The end results tends to be a bit classier. It's when designers shoot for something to look bleeding-edge and/or futuristic ... it just ends up looking contrived and almost silly. And, it's out-dated VERY quickly.

Just me two pence worth.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
Easy-to-read, big, round gauges may be retro for a reason. They just work. Personally, I like the mixture of retro and high-tech. The end results tends to be a bit classier. It's when designers shoot for something to look bleeding-edge and/or futuristic ... it just ends up looking contrived and almost silly. And, it's out-dated VERY quickly.

Just me two pence worth.
Gosh! I've agreed with all your posts recently. It's starting to scare me! :D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Razmataz said:
Gosh! I've agreed with all your posts recently. It's starting to scare me! :D
Be afraid. Be VERY afraid. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
meese said:
It's simply state-of-the-art electronics and full-color displays wrapped in a Retro design.

I'm not sure it's my favorite style either but honestly, it's such a small part of the overall riding experience that I really don't care too much . . .
No doubt the technology is state-of-the-art, but the wide, cheesy plastic around the gauges and display just has the cheap kitchen appliance look to me. I like large analog gauges, but if you look at many modern cars this is done in a nice integrated display without the cheesy wide separators. I think BMW could have made the 1600 dash look like something out of a modern car or airplane instead of looking like a 60s Buick.

Something like the instrument design of the Hyundai Genesis for example. http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/sedan/#/gallery/

·
Registered
431 Posts
It reminds me of a juke box. You can have classy and even retro that look classy. Triumph have done some nice panels. Keeping it in house, there wasn't much wrong with the '09 RT panel.

·
Registered
635 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:

Just me two pence worth.
I agree, it is not a design, at least from my perspective, where one heading out for a ride one day will say, what was I thinking.

·
Registered
R1250RT LE, F800GT, 1960 Land Rover, 2010 Range Rover
174 Posts
It may be a small part of the overall package but it is the bit I will be looking at to get info from on a regular basis and the design is pants! What is with the all square bits just thrown on, why not make it look good (symetrical)?
Something like the instrument design of the Hyundai Genesis
+1

Speedo and Tacho should be the same size, why change a design that works? Just because you can does not make it a good idea! If you want retro what about the K100?

Ooh, ooh and while I'm on a rant; the speedo should be on the right with the tacho on left for heaven's sake.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Vince_nj1 said:
Like a 1965 Mustang?

It"s not BMW that is retro, that is 1965 Mustang that is so ahead of time...
BJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts