BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

Working on a "retirement" ride for later this summer and would like to reach out for any words of wisdom. There will be 6 of us, 4 retired and 2 looking forward to their day. The plan for now is to meet at Niagara Falls (I will be leaving from Knox. TN, 2 live near Cincinnati, and the rest are in the D.C. area) and ride the Kings Hwy to Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, and then on to Sturgis for the rally.

I know there's a lot to see around Sturgis (Black Hills, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower, and so much more) what I'm looking for is any recommendations on must see, good eats, places to stay, experiences good or bad along the Kings Hwy.

We are under a time constraint for the Canadian leg with only 5 days to get from Niagara Falls to Sturgis.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I suggest from Thunder Bay do the North Shore drive on US61, then MN 23 from Duluth to US 212 or US14 to Sturgis.

Don't take I-90 across SD. Boring. Have a good safe trip!!

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I am planning to head out that way this year and I was looking at the maps this week. I went over the Mackinaw Bridge in 2004 on the way to CCR and then down the west side of Lake Michigan and then predominately stayed close to I-90 through Sturgis. I was not impressed. This time I am hoping we will go into Canada at Sault Ste Marie and take the north side of Lake Superior and then eventually onto Highway 1 west to Calgary and then down into Glacier National Park. The mapping tool I am using has me running on some parallel roads to Highway 1.

What are you calling Kings Highway?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
jackd said:
I am planning to head out that way this year and I was looking at the maps this week. I went over the Mackinaw Bridge in 2004 on the way to CCR and then down the west side of Lake Michigan and then predominately stayed close to I-90 through Sturgis. I was not impressed. This time I am hoping we will go into Canada at Sault Ste Marie and take the north side of Lake Superior and then eventually onto Highway 1 west to Calgary and then down into Glacier National Park. The mapping tool I am using has me running on some parallel roads to Highway 1.

What are you calling Kings Highway?
I think it depends on where you are in Canada.
The main east/west highway is called the Trans Canadian Highway and that start leaving Ontario entering the 4 western provinces. Never been to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia or New Foundland but in Quebec and Ontario that highway has multiple arteries. From Montreal it split into the 401, 17, 11 and rejoin just east of Winnipeg. Kingsway and QEW are only names of local stretches in the eastern provinces.
I will bill you later :histerica :histerica :histerica
ride safe :bmw:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts