BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had retired for a couple of years, but in October something that sounded interesting came up. I am now working on contract designing sections of robots for the Remotec div. of Northrop Grumman. It stated out as a 4-5 month contract, but still going and looks like it will for a while yet. Their business is growing fast. It seems that ground robotics is in about the position that UAV's were 10 years ago. Has everyone's attention now, so military, Law enforcement, Fire departments, search and rescue, mine safety, and others are scrambling to "Stay out of harm's way" while doing the job.

One of their robots was in the opening scenes of the movie "The Hurt Locker".

http://www.is.northropgrumman.com/by_solution/remote_platforms/index.html

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DasBoat2003 said:
Sounds like interesting work.

So does this mean that there's a replacement for the Bat Bike in the near future?
Not in the near future. First is some remodeling around home, and the revival of my 1980's hobby.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Congrats on the job and nice plane! I was into RC back in the mid-70's, when I lived at home and my only expense! Big advances in electric motors and batteries since then, too. No more mess!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Way to go David! Anytime you can get someone to pay you for doing something that piques your interest you're Winning!! I may think about a similar path down the road, but not the robotics.

John

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Hey, hey - congrats David. That'll work to keep you getting younger and younger!! ;)

Thought there for a sec that Janet wuz gonna give you the green light to come get ole Toad!! ;) I know you were kidding, butt that *$$ in Leon Springs is still there and has your name on a cuppa!!! :)

Enjoy the job, David - sounds like it's right up your alley. And have fun with the RC plane gig. :D

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
Looks like an awesome opportunity, David.

My degree is actually in robotics, although these days that mostly means automated production equipment. It's much more fun when they can move around the place on their own. :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
I played with some of their toys before I retired. Neat stuff.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Cool David. That company knows how to hire real talent. :)

meese said:
My degree is actually in robotics...
Hhmmn...

:p :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts