BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I had messaged Mike Kimbrell about STC the end of Dec. He wasn't sure he could make it. I'll message him for an update.

I talked with Jesse Brown a couple weeks ago. Getting to go to STC wasn't looking good for him.

Benton Blalock had been to several of the events. I PM'd him this morning to let him know STC was on.

Reactions: saddleman

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm going to put it on my calendar and either bring the LT or my CanAm RT... if that's OK?
Add one more to the list - Bob Locke - from Charlotte NC - I've been before - it's an excellent trip.
I'll see if I can make reservations tomorrow... 16th - 18th
Thanks for setting this up again.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Roster for the 2020 Spring Training Camp

John and Jean Zeiler
Dave Selvig
Lynn and Janet Keen
Mike and Gretchen Nahas
Brett Salmon (Saturday)
Howard and Lisa Schisler
Dave Hogerheide (maybe)
Dave Bulloch
Lee Wilson
Dave Oehler (maybe)
Gordon Cox and Susan Beals Wednesday
Gary Culbertson (maybe)
Al and Jan Strickland
Gilles and Kathy
Patti Ehmen
Jim and Penny Moore
Bob Locke (traderbob_nc)

Added you to the list Bob.

:wave

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Glen Hinegardner from the Cleveland, OH area has been to a couple STCs. I contacted him; he and Carol may be driving down to STC with Lisa and I.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Roster for the 2020 Spring Training Camp

John and Jean Zeiler
Dave Selvig
Lynn and Janet Keen
Mike and Gretchen Nahas
Brett Salmon (Highly Questionable) CHANGED...….2/17/2020...……...I actually tried to get a private room for Fri & Sat Night but none available...…………..now a wedding has come up!!
Howard and Lisa Schisler
Dave Hogerheide (maybe)
Dave Bulloch
Lee Wilson
Dave Oehler (maybe)
Gordon Cox and Susan Beals Wednesday
Gary Culbertson (maybe)
Al and Jan Strickland
Gilles and Kathy
Patti Ehmen
Jim and Penny Moore
Bob Locke (traderbob_nc)

Added you to the list Bob.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm looking forward to being there, and have my maps already spread out looking and wishing it wasn't 23 degrees, gray, 20 mph wind. But April is coming.

I'll head out of WI on Wednesday, aiming for a easy day to Louisville. Then finding some nice roads to Iron Horse on Thursday.

Any recommendations? What should I NOT miss on the way? I've done the Dragon too many times, and don't need to ever ride it again. Most likely will catch the Cherohola on the way in or way out for sure.

I'm open to those of you who know the roads better than I.

Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I am sure many of you have concerns over the COVID-19 situation and how it affects STC at Ironhorse. Jean and I are still planning to go. This two week lock down many are experiencing is very important to break the cycle of spread of the disease. If everyone cooperates the Nation can break the upward curve of the spread. I spoke to Pam at Ironhorse and they just today updated their policies for anyone that must cancel due to COVID-19, they will allow you to move your reservation to another window this season.

Since STC is still 4 weeks out I feel we will succeed, as a Nation, in breaking the grip this disease has had and by then we will be safe to attend. Of course the cleaning staff at Ironhorse is just now reporting for work they will implement careful cleaning and sanitation protocols to ensure they will be ready and safe to open on 1 April this year.

Looking forward to seeing all of you there. Just remember we may still need to maintain social distancing so no hugging , Brett.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Looking forward to seeing all of you there. Just remember we may still need to maintain social distancing so no hugging , Brett.
If you can smell Brett's Aqua Velva, you are too close. >:)

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Reactions: zippy_gg

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I am sure many of you have concerns over the COVID-19 situation and how it affects STC at Ironhorse. Jean and I are still planning to go. This two week lock down many are experiencing is very important to break the cycle of spread of the disease. If everyone cooperates the Nation can break the upward curve of the spread. I spoke to Pam at Ironhorse and they just today updated their policies for anyone that must cancel due to COVID-19, they will allow you to move your reservation to another window this season.

Since STC is still 4 weeks out I feel we will succeed, as a Nation, in breaking the grip this disease has had and by then we will be safe to attend. Of course the cleaning staff at Ironhorse is just now reporting for work they will implement careful cleaning and sanitation protocols to ensure they will be ready and safe to open on 1 April this year.

Thanks for the update John. I'm in the wait and see mode. Was truly looking forward to attending but do not want to put our health at risk nor do I want to overreact to the situation. No I have not run out and attempted to corner the NE Florida supply of toilet paper!:smile: We have two medical doctors in the family and they're telling me that the age related consequences of this virus are truly devastating and are strongly recommending that we stay home. So, will evaluate the situation as the date approaches.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I understand Lynn. It may be wishful thinking that we will be able to hold this event after all, but we can try.

The MOA has already cancelled the Fontana Village event the week after ours and moved it to August. We may be doing that as well.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I understand Lynn. It may be wishful thinking that we will be able to hold this event after all, but we can try.

The MOA has already cancelled the Fontana Village event the week after ours and moved it to August. We may be doing that as well.

Understand the desire to have the event as planned. Perfect time of the year to visit the mountains. However, rather be safe than sorry and for what it's worth my vote would be to postpone if possible. Only problem might be if the folks at Iron Horse already have rooms booked into the future and may not be able to squeeze us in. I'll stay tuned and pray that this thing gets turned around real soon.

Cheers, Lynn

Reactions: pkpr1998

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Understand the desire to have the event as planned. Perfect time of the year to visit the mountains. However, rather be safe than sorry and for what it's worth my vote would be to postpone if possible. Only problem might be if the folks at Iron Horse already have rooms booked into the future and may not be able to squeeze us in. I'll stay tuned and pray that this thing gets turned around real soon.

Cheers, Lynn

Well I finally succumbed to the pressure from wife and family and cancelled my reservation. I am really bummed out as I was really looking forward a few days in the mountains and visiting with old friends that we haven't seen for quite awhile. If the group decides to attempt a gathering at some future I'll certainly be interested will hopefully be healthy and happy enough to make a new reservation and join in the fun! For any of you that still plan to attend my hope is for you to have a wonderful time and stay healthy. Cheers, Lynn

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
STC 2021 is less than 6 months away! It's always the weekend after tax day in April. The IronHorse Motorcycle Lodge is filling up fast. There is a military veterans group that has selected the same weekend for their gathering. If you want to be a part of Spring Training Camp for Riders, call the IronHorse today.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
The countdown is ON! STC 2021 is 2 months away. It's so cold, dreary, wet, and nasty this weekend that April can't get here soon enough!

·
Registered
617 Posts
I am going to start a roster thread like we used to so we know who is coming.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: hschisler

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry, I'm new here and apparently clueless....

Is this a gathering during the MOA Fontana Getaway or is this something different/separate from the MOA deal?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Sorry, I'm new here and apparently clueless....

Is this a gathering during the MOA Fontana Getaway or is this something different/separate from the MOA deal?
This is similar to but much older than the MOA Getaways and was a regional spin off of the now defunct Curve Cowboy Reunion organization that ran from 2000 to 2015 and the spin off was first held in 2005.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Based on a lookup just now, the MOA Fontana Getaway is the following week 4/23/2021 to 4/25/2021 The Spring Training event is Apr 15 - 17 ( checkout Sunday the 18th) at the Iron Horse Motorcycle lodge in Stecoah NC. Many arrive on the 14th like me. This gathering rose up around the K1200LT model and the Curve Cowboy reunion Org ( now defunct) many years ago as a way to meet up with fellow LT riders and to provide help for people to learn about their new complex motorcycle that even the dealers at that time didn't know how to service well. Many have either moved on to a newer BMW platform or added new to their stable so this is not an exclusive LT event although we would like to have as many of these new LT riders know about it and come introduce themselves and ride some of the best roads in the country with us. A roster has been started by Al to let people know who will be there and when they arrive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok, thank you both for the input.

I'm not so much an LT fan (don't know much about them)....but I am a BMW bike fan and a BMW rider fan! Sounds like a fun get together. IHML is pretty cool. Food is definitely their weakness, well being in a dry county doesn't help either.

No interest in trying to fix what isn't broken, but Tapoco Lodge is not far away and the food choices are much better. Less biker-centric, but certainly friendly to bikers with plenty of covered parking.

I'd enjoy meeting you all. If I can make it I will.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts