BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... My Lt is all over the garage, I have replaced the air cleaner and have the fuel pump and filter out. I intend to put new plugs in and have a valve cover gasket if I get enough guts to check the valves. I have a front brake line that went bad and will be replacing that as well.

I was looking at the radiators and the fins are plugged with bugs.

Any tips on how to clean out the fins without disassembly?

Also I have never checked valves myself... any pep talks out there?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Can't help with the valves as I have not done that yet myself, but for the radiator I just use compressed air from the back side and blow out the junk that is stuck there. If you don't have a compressor, try a can of air and see if that'll do it for you.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
BaronVonGregg said:
OK... My Lt is all over the garage, I have replaced the air cleaner and have the fuel pump and filter out. I intend to put new plugs in and have a valve cover gasket if I get enough guts to check the valves. I have a front brake line that went bad and will be replacing that as well.

You are knee-deep in Level Two service. Got a manual? Got friends? You bet on this site and in the Portland area. PM me your phone and I'll call you and help.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Research the Hall of Wisdom on checking your valves. Once you do it (or have someone with experience help you) it is pretty straighforward but time consuming. It takes longer to get to your valves than it does to check them or change out buckets.

For your radiators, you could use a stiff bristled brush or get the bug guts wet, apply a little liquid Tide, wait a few minutes for the Tide to work, and wash the bugs away.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
When I bought the new plugs, I bought a new feeler gauge.

When it came time to install the new plugs, I discovered that I didn't have a socket to fit the new plugs.

It was easy to spin the rear tire to check the clearance. I wrote down the measurements.

Bob. 00LT

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
For valves, you need to go to Gunsmoke.com This is the BEST resource for checking tolerances and replacing shims.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have used a garden hose to clean the radiator fins, spraying from the back side...soften them up with a soapy solution prior to washing.

·
Registered
287 Posts
BaronVonGregg said:

Dude, that is what your visa card is for!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts