BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - have a new used 02 LT - I replaced the battery today and found that I cannot get the alarm turned off. Is there a process for resetting the bike's anti-theft alarm? I also replaced the battery in the FOB - cannot get the flashing red light on the dash to turn off. Don't have the owner's manual - appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Paul

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Within 10 yeards of your receiver, press both buttons on the remote simultaniously for 10 seconds until the remote LED light comes off. Release both buttons, LED light should go on. Then press either button, LED goes off and your good to go.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - just tried to reset the FOB - worked just as you said. The bigger problem that I have found is that I simply can't turn off the alarm. I didn't add earlier that I also changed the battery this morning - from the other posts it appears that I must reset the alarm as well. Do you have the process for resetting this too? Can get the alarm to turn off - it stay armed regardless of what I do with the FOB. Thanks a million. Paul

·
Registered
509 Posts
I had a similar problem whilst on a road trip lately. Had my alarm set, returned to my bike and could NOT turn the alarm off. I started to panic a bit...thinking that I was going to be stranded...bike not start, etc. Finally, after pressing the button (with the textured lines on it) numerous times on two different remotes (had my spare remote with me), I finally heard the disarm beep and breathed a sigh of relief. Afterwhich, I didn't set the alarm again on my trip and wanted to check things out when I got home. Might try replacing my batteries too, as mine is an '02, so the batteries are at least 7 or 8 years old. Anyway, I'm interested to see where this thread goes, and will be playing close attention to it.

Toolman

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
So the fob worked before you changed the battery?
Try repeatedly pressing the LEFT button rapidly for a few seconds or hold it in for a few seconds I don't remember which. You want to see the LED on the remote to start flashing rapidly. If that doesn't work I'm out of ideas. Last resort you could try disconnecting the battery on the bike, that might reset the alarm on the bike. Now I'm out of ideas.

Interestingly, I once did have my bike in an industrial area where the fob was being interfered with. I had to push my bike away from the building, then it worked. I doubt that is your situation.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,168 Posts
When a FOB starts acting flakey (low battery, strong RF interference) - walk to the rear of the bike and put the FOB right under the top case latch. You want it as close to the alarm as possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts