BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

last night travelling on the motorway the BC showing 35 miles of fuel left, suddenly it showed ------ and after about 5 miles the reserve light was on.

I had another 3 miles to the nearest petrol station so i thought i will be ok but suddenly the bike was out of fuel and i just managed to drive into the station with the bike switched off.!!
I know its my fault not to put fuel earlier but i though that with the reserve light on i have at least 20 miles left. Thank God i was near the petrol station.

I fill up with 23.50ltrs.

Can this be true? How can a bike like the LT not having enough reserve?

·
Registered
876 Posts
The fuel level warning can be changed to suit your preferences. There are posts on this on the forum, I think there is also a procedure in the tech files. Don't be too reliant on the exact distance to empty reading, as this is a calculation only, and is based on fuel flow rates over the last pre-detirmed distance (in the engine management system), so for example, if you have been riding economically for the majority of the tank, then ride more aggresively, it's possible that the calculator will be 'tricked" and you may run short of fuel sooner than expected. That's the way it appears with my '05, others may have more technical details of this system. In general terms though, on my '05 and riding 'normally' there is about 90 Km's from the light on till empty. Funny that, you just get 'em used to going without fuel, then they stop.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
+1 on Dennis.

Search the forum, there is a calibration procedure that will help you with your km to empty.

Zeke

·
Premium Member
7,851 Posts
SOULMAN203 said:
Hello to all,

last night travelling on the motorway the BC showing 35 miles of fuel left, suddenly it showed ------ and after about 5 miles the reserve light was on.

I had another 3 miles to the nearest petrol station so i thought i will be ok but suddenly the bike was out of fuel and i just managed to drive into the station with the bike switched off.!!
I know its my fault not to put fuel earlier but i though that with the reserve light on i have at least 20 miles left. Thank God i was near the petrol station.

I fill up with 23.50ltrs.

Can this be true? How can a bike like the LT not having enough reserve?
There is no reserve per se on the LT. My low fuel light comes on at about the 1/4 tank mark so I have 60+ miles left until empty at that point. I believe the warning level can be adjusted, but mine was OK from the factory so I haven't bothered to learn how to change it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,070 Posts
Normally the low fuel light is set to come on with one US gallon left (over here anyway). That will get you a set number of miles based on the calculations at the time. I find it handy to periodically reset the MPG on the BC just to keep it as accurate as possible. It is an accumulated value and when reset will reflect the current value. Mine varies considerably on whether I am pull the trailer or not.

You may want to set your own level. Here is a link to do that Low Fuel Level Setting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts