BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:

I've been busy renovating the house and the bike has been sitting for a while awaiting a 24 K service. When I try to start it, I hear a slight buzzing or clicking sound that one would normally associate with a dirty battery connection on the positive terminal, a bad solenoid, or defective starter or alternator. The battery is fully charged and the bike will start with a jump.

Any ideas? Thanks for help. tom

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Hi, Tom --

Do you know whether this bike has the retrofit starter relay installed? If not, do NOT try to start the bike again on the original relay -- a low battery can result in the starter relay contacts to weld themselves together. When you drop a new battery in, the starter will immediately start to turn, and continue turning until you can get the battery disconnected again. Not fun.

I would suggest removing the battery from the bike and measuring the voltage *while a load is applied to the battery.* A bad battery can show 12V+ on a voltmeter, but not be able to deliver any significant amount of current. Hook up a voltmeter and then observe how the voltage drops under load (a simple head light bulb connected across the battery terminals should be sufficient). I expect you'll find that the voltage will instantly drop to the <10V level -- at which point the battery may be given its last rites.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey Mark:

It's been tooo long. I have no idea if I have this starter config. Thanks for the tip.
BTW, how do I know if I have this type?

I do have a new battery for it. I'll try that first.

All the best, tom

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ray:

Thanks for your suggestion. Your solution hits me akin to a slap upside the forehead. Just last week, I went through a problem-solution drill with my lawn tractor. I thought the solenoid was bad and replaced it only to learn a lesson I had learned so long ago (after tracing down the wiring with a continuity tester): that the connection between the positive cable on the battery and the terminal was dirty! It's an embarrassing but refreshing reminder. Best, tt

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
ttalleur said:
BTW, how do I know if I have this type?
No way to know externally. If it had been installed during your ownership you'd know -- the installation of the starter retrofit kit was a pita because it could not be buried much deeper in the bike -- in the upper half of the large electrical box on the right side of the frame backbone: all the front tupperware, radio, seat frame and fuel tank have to come off just to get to the box to start the retrofit.

Thanks for the PM -- I'll reply when I get a non-hectic moment.

Best,
Mark

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Request for ideas: LT won't turn over---SOLVED!

Mark:

The new battery fixed the problem. The old one was at 11.01 amps off the bike. "Shows to to go us" over and over again --- German fault tolerance never fails to amaze me.

I took the bike out for a 10 mile run for the first time in a year tonight. 75 degree weather. What a treat.

Now, the reverse gear setup is not working. Got to figure that out. I'll run it once more in the morning and then put it on the lift for the 24K service.

Best, tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts