BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a GTL...yeah, got the bug to buy a new machine again. I'm liking the GTL, but some concerns: I'm seeing a few reports about it pulling hard to the left at highway speeds. This one concerns me more than some of the other complaints like leaking waterpump seals. Have you guys experienced this? It seems to be a fairly common complaint.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Most of what I've read is a slight lean to the left when you take your hands off of the handlebars. Not sure if I've read "hard pull."

I've had mine since July and was not aware of the drift until reading about it and then taking my hands off of the handlebars. It is so slight that, for me, it is a non issue. My K1200LT seemed to do the same thing and it was so slight that it could have been the crown of the road ( my SUV does the same thing) items in the side case or just my riding position.

I think for most it's a matter of, "Is the glass half full or half empty?"

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Dan. Having read many of your posts, I know you love that machine. I never had an issue with the LT pulling so am concerned a bit. Also, the GT/GTL being fairly new some of the bugs might not be worked out? Wondering if maintenance is the nightmare it was on the LT (ABS brake bleeding, etc.). I hated the high center of gravity of the LT and was considering an Ultra for that reason. I suppose I would probably need another seat from Redding, CA with the GTL, although I know you like stock fine.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Mine seem to pull a little left till I changed from the stock Metzler Z 8 tires to the Mich PR3 tires & the pull went away.
But as Danno stated it was so slight a pull I did not even notice it till I took both hands off the bars.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Reid said:
Thanks, Dan. Having read many of your posts, I know you love that machine. I never had an issue with the LT pulling so am concerned a bit. Also, the GT/GTL being fairly new some of the bugs might not be worked out? Wondering if maintenance is the nightmare it was on the LT (ABS brake bleeding, etc.). I hated the high center of gravity of the LT and was considering an Ultra for that reason. I suppose I would probably need another seat from Redding, CA with the GTL, although I know you like stock fine.

Just take it for a long test ride. Maneuvering, you will think that you are on a Honda 350! The low center of gravity, compared to the K1200LT will amaze you. I was always concerned/scared/hesitated to do a U turn with my K1200LT and don't think twice about doing it on the K1600GTL. It is so different from the K1200LT.

The bugs are so minor that they are really just that, bugs...a lot about nothing.. No real issues yet and the bike has been out for about a year. The only thing that bothered me was the horn. I replaced mine and some people have convinced the dealer to do it as part of their delivery set up.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
PTTL or PTTR as it is called can usually be fixed by a simple alignment...

Usually caused by the forks not being quite right in the mounts...

But first.. Loosen the front axle bolt holding clamps and main nut...

Bounce the bike up and down a few times... Then tighten everything back up...

If that doesn't fix it a slight tweak at the tripple tree might be necessary.

Loosen the fork clamp bolts and tap the front tire with a big rubber hammer in the appropriate direction.. Tighten back up and test...Repeat till you get it straight..

John

·
Registered
208 Posts
Reid said:
I'm considering a GTL...yeah, got the bug to buy a new machine again. I'm liking the GTL, but some concerns: I'm seeing a few reports about it pulling hard to the left at highway speeds. This one concerns me more than some of the other complaints like leaking waterpump seals. Have you guys experienced this? It seems to be a fairly common complaint.

Thanks!
I think you need to do a test ride and see for yourself. I've tried to see if mine pulls, but the slightest breeze on ME seems to make it wander ever so slightly one way or the other, not consistant. I pretty much keep at least one hand on the bars, and have noticed NO pull that way.

It is possible that a few might have had an issue with this, but try as hard as I can, I've not been able to verify it on mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts