BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a steering damper I want to install, but before I tear into it, I want to tap the collective wisdom here. In the service manual, it indicates with a "caution" that threadlocker is used on the steering damper bolts. The assembly instructions indicate that they are using Locktite 243 (or "blue" locktite) - which in the past I have had no problems breaking without using heat in most circumstances.

Have you heated the joints before removing them or can I just break the bond with the wrench?

The instructions say to remove the front wheel, but it looks like it might be possible to replace the damper without removing the front wheel. Yes or no?

Anything else I need to be concerned about? it appears to be adjustable, but there is no information I can find on how to adjust it - or is this one of those install-and-leave-it-alone items?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have a replacement on my workbench for the last 2 years - am dreading to attack it after lousy experience doing the same on my K1200RS.

Yes, you need to take off the front wheel to reach the bolt under the fork bridge. Wheel is no biggie, is it?

Here is the real problem: the Torx bolt that holds the front of the damper will twist in its rubber seat as you apply pressure. Stripping it is almost guaranteed - happened to me.

To get it right, you need to assure a clean bolt head and a good Torx driver. Also, a method to keep the damper straight to prevent the tool from loosing its spot.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I hve done that job couple of times. As said earlier, you have to take front wheel off. And for that you have to take brake calibers off.

Then easiest way is to take fork bridge with steering damper off.
Put steering damper into work bench and loose screw by torx tool. Not big issue. No heating is needed.

If you try to loosen it in bike, most likely you will just damage torx screw.

Attention!
If you try to heat screw you will damage those rubber parts in both sides of fork bridge.

Regards
Leiboshi

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks everyone. No taking the wheel off is certainly no biggie - just trying to avoid doing things I don't have to do. Good advice on the heat though - thank you. I will tear into it this weekend. Sounds like removing the bridge is the way to go.

·
Registered
989 Posts
leiboshi said:
...Put steering damper into work bench and loose screw by torx tool. Not big issue. No heating is needed...
Agreed. After I stripped the bolt, I knew I should have had removed the bridge - have been too lazy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts