BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to all,

i have just received my K1200LT from my local BMW dealer where they replaced my stock suspension with OHLINS. My first impression when i removed the bike from central stand i heard i knocking noise like the front suspension bottoms down.
At the time i didnt pay any attention but when i arrive home and i looked inside the box they put my original shock in, i saw the parts listed as 2 and 3 (as per link below).

These are like small donuts. The one goes above the spring and the other goes below together with the tube (item number 3)

My question is; they did well by removing these parts?

The OHLINS instruction manual says: "Reattach the upper rubber bushing and the original washers and nuts." BUT says nothing about the lower rubber bushing and the tube!!

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0549&mospid=51714&btnr=31_0335&hg=31&fg=20

I call them and they said they have to take the bike in the shop again!!! I already pay for 1 1/2 days labour to replace both front and rear shock and the last think i want is to pay them again.

Any help pls? im kind of worried riding my bike now.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
If they didn't mount it correctly why would you have to pay them again to repair what they did wrong? If you have to read the directions to them, loudy. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thats my point, the owners and installation manual says nothing about the lower bushing. Im planning to strip the bike myself but i want to make sure this part needs to be on the bike first..

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
There MUST be a rubber bushing (#2) under the frame and above the frame where the shock shaft goes. (or else you get a cunk) I re-used the stock ones when I installed my Ohlins. I don't think I needed the item #3 as the shaft of the Ohlin compensated for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have emailed Dan Kyle and he reply to me telling me that both parts are needed to be installed back with the ohlins.

My main concern now is if riding the bike from the shop to my house i did make any damage to the shock. I was planning to ride the bike back to the shop but im afraid i will make more damage.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
SOULMAN203 said:
i have emailed Dan Kyle and he reply to me telling me that both parts are needed to be installed back with the ohlins.

My main concern now is if riding the bike from the shop to my house i did make any damage to the shock. I was planning to ride the bike back to the shop but im afraid i will make more damage.
If the dealer did not do the job properly, I suspect the are liable for the repairs as long as you sought to minimize further damage once you became aware. Then again, that is based on U.S. circumstances so YMMV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts