BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 with a broken latch assy. I picked up a used one on ebay and I would like to swap out the latch & lock assy. It looks like I have to drill out some rivets, but before I proceed I was wondering if anyone else has ever performed this type of surgery?

Quadrunner

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm guessing you are referring to the latch and grab handle on the side case?
It comes off by unscrewing the 8 phillips head screws on the inside of the case. [see service manual page 46.33]

If you're replacing the outer half of the side case, you will need to drill out pop rivets in the hinge that holds the two halves of the case together.

Not sure if there are pop rivets in the handle/latch assembly itself or why you'd take it apart.

The lock cylinder comes out of the side case handle latch assembly by pushing a wire into the little hole in the body of the lock assembly to release the retaining pin. [see service manual page 51.6 and 51.7]

Sorry, I can't easily make prints of these service manual pages...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the post. Now that you explained how to remove the lock assy, I can swap mine out. I'm the idiot who posted earlier this year about breaking the handle/latch assy. bye pulling thru my gate with the case open.

quadrunner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts