BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made it to 50K miles and used only two sets of brake shoes. Last year I started to hear the rattle so I used the "Shoe Goo" method of fixing that. The rattle stopped but the squeal turned into a constant squall at every stop. It's very embarrassing and really takes away from the bike. I ordered an EBC rotor and brake pads. They should be here tomorrow. After that I need to replace the throttle cables. My hands hurt when I ride anyway, the hard throttle just makes it worse. It's tough getting old. I should be good to go after that. I'm looking forward to heading back to Colorado and finishing the trip I started last year when I lost my final drive in Grand Junction. I hope I can find another 5 days of weather that I had last year. It was perfect. I can only hope.........and thanks to this site for all the great info. It's been very helpful. Without it I would have been lost. It is indeed a great source............ :D

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
rattler50 said:
I made it to 50K miles and used only two sets of brake shoes. Last year I started to hear the rattle so I used the "Shoe Goo" method of fixing that. The rattle stopped but the squeal turned into a constant squall at every stop. It's very embarrassing and really takes away from the bike. I ordered an EBC rotor and brake pads. They should be here tomorrow. After that I need to replace the throttle cables. My hands hurt when I ride anyway, the hard throttle just makes it worse. It's tough getting old. I should be good to go after that. I'm looking forward to heading back to Colorado and finishing the trip I started last year when I lost my final drive in Grand Junction. I hope I can find another 5 days of weather that I had last year. It was perfect. I can only hope.........and thanks to this site for all the great info. It's been very helpful. Without it I would have been lost. It is indeed a great source............ :D
James
A little trick I found to remove the ABS ring from the old rotor is to drill 8 or 10 1/8 inch holes into the rotor just inside the ABS ring. Be very careful not dill into the ring but get as close as you can. Then you can just pop it off with a small pry bar or large screwdriver. Next lay the ring on the new rotor and put a piece of wood on the ring and tap it on with a hammer. It's best to put the rotor on another piece of wood too.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
At 36,000 I had no problem getting the ring off. Just took the screws out and lightly pried it off.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got 'er done. That was too easy. It pried off easily. The heat gun worked well taking the screws out of the ring. The ring went on the new rotor easily. I got it all back together and went for a short test ride. Sure is quiet......................... :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts