BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Replacing a BC2a with a BC3 intercom

I recently purchased an early 05 LT, where the previous owner removed the BC2a system as it did not work and subsequently purchasing a used BC3 system. So my question is where can I get a wiring harness to attach the new unit if it can be done at all, and it worth my time to do so? Thanks Mark

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
I am not familiar with that terminology. If you are talking intercom then the 05 started with the VOICE system that was later replaced by the VOICE II as the available intercom. If he did not remove the wiring for it you should be OK. Don't think the dealer stocks the harness as a seperate item.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Mark, are you possibly referring to the "BC-2" or "BC-3"? These were common terms for the BMW Comm Systems which were predecessors to the Voice Systems. The BC-3 was the the best of these, being manufactured by J&M Corp for BMW. As far as the harness goes, check out one of the salvage yards for a harness. We may have one, but it is not for the BC-3. It is off an older BC-2, or possibly even a BC-1!

Good Luck,
John

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AlaskaFish said:
Mark, are you possibly referring to the "BC-2" or "BC-3"? These were common terms for the BMW Comm Systems which were predecessors to the Voice Systems. The BC-3 was the the best of these, being manufactured by J&M Corp for BMW. As far as the harness goes, check out one of the salvage yards for a harness. We may have one, but it is not for the BC-3. It is off an older BC-2, or possibly even a BC-1!

Good Luck,
John
John you are correct it's BC so my question to you is if I can change the harness to allow me to use the BC3 am I looking for late 05 to new or 06 to new?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
The BC series was never fitted to the 05 and up units. They went with a totally different unit. Not sure if you can adapt it to the later model.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
jzeiler said:
The BC series was never fitted to the 05 and up units. They went with a totally different unit. Not sure if you can adapt it to the later model.
Mark, I would second what John Z says here. It would probably be more trouble than its worth. Consider an after market Comm Sys, or maybe one of the Voice units.

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
I guess I am confused if the PO had a system but removed it it would have had to have been the early VOICE unit. So I'll ask - does the unit you have and want to install have a big round knob and some LED digit indicators on it? If so then you have the VOICE II not the BC3. There may be hope.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am looking at both units, the one the previous owner removed has a silver tag that says BC2a-BMW-47.1 according to him it does not work. The unit he purchased to replace it has a silver tag on the bottom that states BC3-BMW-47.3 SW V 1.0. This one has a large round knob just to the left of center with a led display about the 2 o clock position, to the right of the center of the unit are four input holes, the one on the right has a phone symbol, to the left of that is AUX and to the left of that is another symbol I don't recognize. So please does this help identify what I have?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
Yes - You have what we refer to as the VOICE II unit so it should plug right into the same harness that the old VOICE unit plugged into. Just have to remove the tupperware on both sides and then pull the "stingray" (based on it's shape). Once in there you should be able to pull that apart and installl the unit.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Not that it matters much at this point. But to clairify for those that are playing....

If you need the BC3 installation booklet let me know...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
shoswell said:
Not that it matters much at this point. But to clairify for those that are playing....

Do you know about what years each was used? And why so many??

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Voyager said:
Do you know about what years each was used? And why so many??
Not quite sure on the dates, but this is a stab at it...John correct me b-day boy!

BC1 - first attempt 99-01 (complete fail)
BC2 - 01-02
Voice I - 02-03
BC3 - 03-05
Voice II - 05+

As for why so many? in a nut shell OEM is crap. BC-1-2 and both Voice (depending on whom you talk to) are all disfunctions waiting to happen. Albeit the II gets higher marks than all the others (besides the J&M BC3)

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
shoswell said:
Not quite sure on the dates, but this is a stab at it...John correct me b-day boy!

BC2 - 01-02
Voice I - 02-03
BC3 - 03-05
Voice II - 05+

As for why so many? in a nut shell OEM is crap. BC-1-2 and both Voice (depending on whom you talk to) are all disfunctions waiting to happen. Albeit the II gets higher marks than all the others (besides the J&M BC3)
That's amazing!! A ten year run (prolly longer considering other BMW models) and 5 or more iterations of comms and I'm not sure they have it all together yet!! You'd think they'd borrow some expertise from the motorcar division and come up with a killer system?! AND, ain't Blaupunkt a German outfit with some experience in sound systems? Maybe not comms, butt at least radio/CD/tape etc.

And actually, not being an audiophile, I've enjoyed the sound system on ole Toad pretty much. Got the old tape player in the odd box, butt don't have any tapes - the CD player lives upstairs in the closet - and the trunk lives in the garage, so we're down to two speakers!! Butt - they work!! I hear 'em good at stoplights!! :histerica

Oh, well - just bemoaning the fact that they've tried a few tricks and haven't pleased all the folks all the time!! :rolleyes: ;) ;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
shoswell said:

Request the BC3 installation booklet please. You can reach me through PM or email via this forum.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do appreciate all the help, so I will ask one more question. The VOICE II (BC2) unit I have has just one long plug 2.5 inches long the VOICE unit with the big dial (BC3) has two plugs each 1 inch long and a third little one 1/2 inch long. I have not taken the bike apart but it would appear that either their is another set of plugs with in the bike or I need an adapter cable, is this so? Checking the schematics they appear to be a little different.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
shoswell said:

BC2 - 01-02
Voice I - 02-03
BC3 - 03-05
Voice II - 05+

My Voice II works well when it works. The issue is the constant loss of audio to the head sets. My understanding is that Becker makes the AM/FM radio unit. Do you know if they also make the Voice II?

That is quite a lot of change for a low volume bike over the production run. I sure hope they figure out audio systems for the 1600. I don't know much about Becker or Blaupunkt (sp?), but I know the Japanese can do audio systems and I think the Koreans are competent as well. Since they are making engines now in China, maybe BMW will wise up and get their radios from Japan!

Ok, I realize that is a long shot, but one can hope! :)

·
Registered
860 Posts
coolmg said:
The VOICE II (BC2) unit I have has just one long plug 2.5 inches long the VOICE unit with the big dial (BC3) has two plugs each 1 inch long and a third little one 1/2 inch long.
BC2 and VII are not remotely the same... Now I'm getting confuzzed...

It's my unnerstanding that the plugs are either a 2.5mm plug or a 3.5mm plug (stereo/mono - you say tomato...). I use the audio connector in the front of the VII on my '06 for my multiple MP3 players... I don't use a GPS (I'm never lost, I always know that I am somewhere...) and yet I wonder why you couldn't use that 3.5mm plug for directions (sound) from a GPS on a VII...

The plugs in the back should be the same...

or am I totally confuzzed...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
shoswell said:

BC2 - 01-02
BC3 - 03-05
Voice I - 05
Voice II - 05+

Close

BC3 pre dates the first VOICE wich was a disaster. The pictures and legends are correct.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts