BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I am in the process of replacing a bad O2 sensor on my 2004 LT. It was getting bad fuel mileage,About 30mpg before a battery swap. I tried the TPS reset. Tried riding it to relearn. I kinda figured it was a waste of time. Cause I thought it's got to have a good O2 or it can't set correct fuel/air mix. Well neither worked. Still wouldn't idle. No surprise. Anyway. Been spraying the sensor base with Aerokroil since last night. Figured why struggle. Let it work it for 24/30 hrs. Sound like I'm on the right track?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Hello all. I am in the process of replacing a bad O2 sensor on my 2004 LT. It was getting bad fuel mileage,About 30mpg before a battery swap. I tried the TPS reset. Tried riding it to relearn. I kinda figured it was a waste of time. Cause I thought it's got to have a good O2 or it can't set correct fuel/air mix. Well neither worked. Still wouldn't idle. No surprise. Anyway. Been spraying the sensor base with Aerokroil since last night. Figured why struggle. Let it work it for 24/30 hrs. Sound like I'm on the right track?
Yes, you are on the right track. It is a logical replacement without actually doing tests on its function.

Let the oil penetrate and put extra anti seize on the threads of the new one. Sometimes they can be a little tough to get out. Hopefully the oil will do the work for you.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well. Soaking for 2+ days has not worked. I have tried a,7/8" flair fitting style wrench . No luck. Tried a 22mm open end. No luck there. I will take extra care placing foil around critical areas. Then heat the threads on header pipe with mapp gas. Have a 8" pipe wrench a last resort.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Well. Soaking for 2+ days has not worked. I have tried a,7/8" flair fitting style wrench . No luck. Tried a 22mm open end. No luck there. I will take extra care placing foil around critical areas. Then heat the threads on header pipe with mapp gas. Have a 8" pipe wrench a last resort.
It would take a very heavy duty open end wrench to break loose an oxygen sensor. If you don't plan to re-use it, cut off the wires and use a good 6-point socket (impact style is ideal). Otherwise, invest in a good quality oxygen sensor socket with the slot for the wires. Life is too short to use improper or cheap tools.
:smile:

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I replaced mine last year and had a bit of a struggle as well. I heated it up with my propane torch, then immediately sprayed it with CRC Freeze-Off w/penetrant. The O2 sensor screwed right off.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well. A little heat did it. Got it out..Unfortunately. I LOST ...BROKE THE F#*IN STRING!!!! Now I have to try and route it somehow. God [email protected]#.. Its always something.. I really don't want to strip the Tupperware. Have to involve the wife. Extra hands Providing light will go a long way

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Well. A little heat did it. Got it out..Unfortunately. I LOST ...BROKE THE F#*IN STRING!!!! Now I have to try and route it somehow. God [email protected]#.. Its always something.. I really don't want to strip the Tupperware.
I think only one piece needs to be removed. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I managed to fish it thru.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts