BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally knocked a mirror off in my garage. Before I try to beat it back on I thought I'd check and see if there is a magic technique for replacement.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Shouldn't have to beat it back on... It should just snap back into place..

If the gap around the mirror is inconsistent you might need to shim the ball ends a little.

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
27 Posts
From I found, you just line-up the little balls to their sockets and rest it up aginst the mount and then give it a good whack with your hand. You might want to check and make sure the plastic is not cracked on the mirrior part next to the little ball. I had one that did that. Good luck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Many here have. A quick search for mirrors should yield about a million hits on how others have done it. Some have used small plastic coated cables, and others have screwed them on.

I personally haven't had any problems with mine. I had a mirror that had a broken socket which left the ball loose and didn't hold very tight. I rode with it like that for about 20k. I finally replaced ALL of my trim plastic. If you lube the balls on the fairing side, and make sure that they are snapped into place, you shouldn't have to worry about them.

BMW (in their infinite wisdom) designed them to break away for a reason. In my opinion putting a tether or screwing them to the bike negates the design and may cause more problems in the short run.

YMMV tho

·
Registered
41 Posts
Like everyone says..."Don't beat it" However, it does take a significant "push". I used 150lb test saltwater fishing line to tether. I think I got 150 feet and 50 crimp sleeves for $10 from Bass Pro Shop online. If I need to remove tupperware it is a simple as a vasectomy....snip/snip and its done.

Personally, I like the mirrors tethered because my garage is full and I have bumped into the bike trying to get something and knocked a mirror off. Lucky no damage but now they don't hit the ground.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I used nylon covered stainless steel fishing leader also, but crimped the ends of an 18" long piece threaded through the housing into a "Ring tongue" electrical lug for 1/4" screw, and put that under the 6MM button head screw behind the mirror. To remove the mirror you only have to remove the screw, not cut the leader.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Tethers - Do it now!

An unexpected jarring bump from the road can pop a mirror off. Many companies make little tether kits.(Cycle Gadgets?) Very inexpensive "insurance" on a $200+ part. As stated here, you can make them yourself with a couple dollars of fishing leader and #10 swivels utilizing the original fairing screws beneath the mirrors.

It can happen any time for a number of different reasons. A friend of mine had his 600 mile service done on his brand new R1200RT and one of the mirrors popped off on the way home because it was not put back on correctly by the dealer.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Question....When you teather the mirror and it pops off, does it damge the bike while it's flopping around? It seems to me it would be cheaper to replace the mirror than repainting the fairing.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
No issues

airborneod said:
Question....When you teather the mirror and it pops off, does it damge the bike while it's flopping around? It seems to me it would be cheaper to replace the mirror than repainting the fairing.

Thanks
Had mine pop off a couple of times at 70mph, only because I didn't get it on right, and NO DAMAGE to paint or mirror.

HTH

·
Registered
161 Posts
Same here - hit a set of railroad tracks that jarred my eyeteeth and the left mirror, and the tether saved the mirror with no damage to the mirror's or the tupperware's paint. Tethers are a good investment, in my opinion.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If your mirror is popping off, replace the three screw-in balls that the mirroe attaches to, then remove clean, rebend and lube the springs that go over the balls. My mirrors have never popped off since I did this. I use tethers though as it's still possible to strike something and knock one off (so, how do I know.....).

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
airborneod said:

Thanks
I tethered my mirrors after spending $170.00 on a new one and waiting 10 days for it. I hit a pothole big time...:(

This morning, while splitting lane, a car came too close to me and knocked off my right mirror.:mad: Dangling off the wire did not scratch the fairing of the mirror paint.

$17.00 well spent IMHO... ;)

Gilles
'99 "Red"

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I knocked off mine a few times in the garage and pounded them back on and ended up breaking the plastic around the front spring area (both mirrows). I went to the dealer and he ordered the new parts I needed (he gave me them for 1/2 off) and then when they came in he showed me the correct way to put them on without hiting them and it works. First you line up the front ball and spring, with a little push it snaps on then you line up one of the back balls and with you hand on the front of the mirrow just put some pressure on the back ball and it snaps on then while holding the mirrow you leverage the last one on. It took a couple of times but now it seems very easy. Make sure the balls are lubed and the springs are in good shape and the plastic has cleareance. This bike should come with a video that shows this and how to pick it up the right way as both of these seem to happen to all of us.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Thanks to everybody for their replies, especially the last one by Doug explaining the right way to put them back on.
I did not realise that the mirrors came off, untill I knocked one against a post.
I did several miles with the mirror shaking, not knowing that it was loose.
After stopping and checking it out, it just fell into my hands, which proves that a) the system works or b) I was lucky.
They are now secured with black plastic ties.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Good thread! I found out that by putting fresh lube on the balls it makes the mirrors go on real easy. Also, I have the mirror teathers from Bob's. I do find it difficult at times to try not to pinch the muth mirror wiring. What I now do when I remove the side panels is just let the mirrors hang from the teathers, this way I do not have to disconnect the wiring for the muth mirrors, or even disconnect the mirror teathers.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have had one of mine almost come off after hitting a pothole (Aussie backroads are full of them). Found out about the tethering hint and just used a couple of long zip-ties. Like someone said, cheap insurance on a very expensive part.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
No, it does not damage the paint that you can notice.

After my crash in Arkansas, I trucked the bike back home to San Diego, and the right mirror was hanging on the tether. The left one was crushed and gone. I knew everything would be replaced or the bike totaled, so I did not worry about it.

To my surprise, when I looked at the paint where the mirror had been swinging and banging against for 2,000 miles, it was only slightly blemished. Could have been polished out I think. That is some TOUGH paint!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts