BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new saddlebag lid to replace my scratched original lid and I am looking at the hinges/rivets as the issue staring at me right in the face. Everything else is straight forward. Has anyone done this and how did you remove the lid and put the hinges back on? I don't want to take it to the dealer if I don't have to. The rivets are probably the right way to go and look the most stable. I appreciate the responses.

Go Grizz :wave

·
Registered
511 Posts
Have not had the need to do it but I suspect you will have to drill out the old and re-rivet. You may want to evaluate the RT hinges which I believe use nts and bolts.

Mugz

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
The lids are held by rivets, so yes you have to drill the old ones out and use rivets to install the new lid.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have done this a couple of times and it is pretty straight forward. Just drill out the old rivets and replace with new ones when putting the new lid on. It may be easier if you have someone to help hold the lid especially when you are lining everything up and putting the new rivets in but I have done it by myself before. Just keep track of where all the pieces go when taking it apart and put them back in the same place and you should be ok.

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Those rivets are big and heavy duty. When I replaced mine I bit the bullet and bought them with the skin. My rivet gun has screw inserts to use different thickness of rivets, you will need a similar type gun.

With a heat gun you can get the plastic off but you also must get the reflector insert off first, chances are you are going to need that at least. I know 15 bucks! Or use some of the new super reflective tapes out there, in any color, and call it a day.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
There is certainly the option of replacing the rivets with nuts & bolts if you would prefer. I did so many years ago and have had no probs. Use the nylon type lock nuts.

John
LAF said:
Those rivets are big and heavy duty. When I replaced mine I bit the bullet and bought them with the skin. My rivet gun has screw inserts to use different thickness of rivets, you will need a similar type gun.

With a heat gun you can get the plastic off but you also must get the reflector insert off first, chances are you are going to need that at least. I know 15 bucks! Or use some of the new super reflective tapes out there, in any color, and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Do a search, there are a few other solutions on the forum with the hinge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts