BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm new to this forum and newer owner of a K1200LT, had the bike in for service and was told the brake discs need to be replaced to the tune of $1400.00!!! Yikes. Anyone have a suggestion on doing that job cheaper. I am planning to do the work myself as am pretty handy with tools. The OEM rotors are almost $800.00 plus $200 for new shoes. I saw where one of you replaced yours with EBC rotors from Bike Bandit. I checked them out but there rotors are bare of any install parts. They said to reuse the old mounting hardware. My old ones area the larger ones with a "rivet pack" I assume they are factory installed and not removable to reuse? Any suggestions on the best way to proceed would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.
Best,
Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Get EBC, not OEM. I did remove cowbell noise from the back just by changing the rotor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
i'm no mechanic. I use my lift to wash bikes, change oil, and recently...change the brakes. Took me an hour. I think it would take a mechanic five minutes. If I can do it, anyone can. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Hi All, I'm new to this forum and newer owner of a K1200LT, had the bike in for service and was told the brake discs need to be replaced to the tune of $1400.00!!! Yikes. Anyone have a suggestion on doing that job cheaper. I am planning to do the work myself as am pretty handy with tools. The OEM rotors are almost $800.00 plus $200 for new shoes. I saw where one of you replaced yours with EBC rotors from Bike Bandit. I checked them out but there rotors are bare of any install parts. They said to reuse the old mounting hardware. My old ones area the larger ones with a "rivet pack" I assume they are factory installed and not removable to reuse? Any suggestions on the best way to proceed would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.
Best,
Dave
My experience with replacing front rotors is in thread link below... EBC were great for me.
I also just re-used the old hardware.. bolts, washers etc. All good.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/116297-kudos-ebc.html

Note: this is on an '05 model... if you have an earlier model they are a different part number.. see attached EBC catalogue list (sourced from the web a few years back)

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
My experience with replacing front rotors is in thread link below... EBC were great for me.
I also just re-used the old hardware.. bolts, washers etc. All good.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/116297-kudos-ebc.html

Note: this is on an '05 model... if you have an earlier model they are a different part number.. see attached EBC catalogue list (sourced from the web a few years back)
I wonder how BMW feels about being a non-Japanese motorcycle rather than a German motorcycle. :surprise:

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200
1 - 6 of 6 Posts