BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the recent CCR, I heard that some riders have removed the charcoal canister under the trunk and replaced it with a 12 volt air pump. I would like to do this and did a search for info regarding this mod and found none. Before I start from scratch, thought I would tap the "brain trust" for info like:

1. What brand pump works best
2. Hard wired with switch under seat vs. plug in
3. what length hose
4. etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I use the Thomas 12V compressors on all of my bikes. Small, quiet, and fast. I also use surgical tubing as my air hose. Doesn't take up a lot of space, and I like the quick-disconnects for it. See the pics below...1,000 words and all. I found all the stuff on eBay.

Compressor where cannister used to be.

Switch needs to be pulled out in order to turn on compressor.

Air chuck stored with tools in left saddlebag. 10' of tubing takes up little space under the seat, with a Velcro strap to hold it securely in place.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
ihbond said:
what Thomas 12V compressors model it was ?
Model 215

I paid under $60 for two of them, and all the associated hardware. I've seen these compressors sell for over $100 a piece alone.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Cannister/pump

Can someone explain to me what the cannister does, and why the pump is a better alternative. I am in the dark here. Thanks. jrlakin

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
jrlakin said:
Can someone explain to me what the cannister does, and why the pump is a better alternative. I am in the dark here. Thanks. jrlakin
The air compressor isn't "an alternative". It's what it sounds like it is. And air compressor and a tire repair kit can save you from a big hassle should you get a flat in the middle of nowhere.

As for the cannister...it's EPA-mandated bullcrap. The problem with it is, if it becomes clogged it can cause your fuel tank to collapse and your bike to stop running. In short, it has a great potential to do much more harm than good. It falls under "preventative maintenance". If removing mine from my new GT this weekend.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Link to old site

Here's a link to a thread about installing a Thomas air compressor:

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=270648&page=&view=&sb=&o=

I'm not sure if that will work or not.

But if you go to the BMWLT.net Archive Forums under "Forums" and do a search on "Thomas air compressors" or "Air compressors" there are mary good threads on doing installations.

You will also find that you don't have to remove the cannister, there are several other places it will fit.

Harv

·
Registered
374 Posts
What will it do to your warranty if you remove the canister?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
messenger13 said:
Model 215

I paid under $60 for two of them, and all the associated hardware. I've seen these compressors sell for over $100 a piece alone.
Joe, pretty sure the one pictured in your post was a model 115, not 215. The 215 is larger. Don Arthur posted pictures of his installation of a 215 where his cannister was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts