BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing old brake lines with spieglers. Is it better to bleed from top down or fill from bottom up?

Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Believe the typical way is reservoir to bleed port. My guess that would still be preferable just in case there is any debris/contamination in the lines. Would rather have the debris heading out the bleed port than back up through the master cylinder with a chance of lodging in the wrong place.

Jim H.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
jrh2020 said:
Believe the typical way is reservoir to bleed port. My guess that would still be preferable just in case there is any debris/contamination in the lines. Would rather have the debris heading out the bleed port than back up through the master cylinder with a chance of lodging in the wrong place.

Jim H.
Plus 1

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
BMW pushes it up, But that's when they're new...

After changing brake lines it will be easier to get the air out if you go up.

It'll take a lot of conventional bleeding to get all that air out....Like a power bleeder....The faster you can move the brake fluid thru the lines the less time the air has to rise back into the line...

So normally I'd say bleed conventionally. But in this case, I'd push..

I would pull the banjo fitting from the master cylinder. and start by getting that good and cleared out of any debris if you're worried about the master cylinder...

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,186 Posts
For the wheel circuit lines it is best to just fill the reservoir and let the pump cycle the fluid out to the caliper. Just keep it full of fluid. Then once you have clean fluid there run a hose from the caliper back to the reservoir and run the pump until the bubbles are gone. For the control circuit lines you might be better served pushing it up fromn the ABS unit to the master cyclinders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts