BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the rear master cylinder was leaking, but it is the brake line from the cylinder to the pump. It is leaking just above the banjo fitting.

To replace the line, flush/bleed the system is going to cost me $400 and change.

Has anybody done this repair without going to the dealer for the final bleed?

I have read the instructions for changing the fluid, but they assume there is no air in the system, which will obviously not be the case once I replace the line. I have read about pumping fluid from the calipers back to the wheel reservoir...would that work in this case?

I have also read the threads about replacing the OEM part with Spieglers. I have never felt the need to improve the brakes on the bike, so my only concern is the expected life of the part. Is there any reason to think the Spiegler would last longer than the OEM? The OEM lasted 7 years.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
space_coast_lt said:
I thought the rear master cylinder was leaking, but it is the brake line from the cylinder to the pump. It is leaking just above the banjo fitting.

To replace the line, flush/bleed the system is going to cost me $400 and change.

Has anybody done this repair without going to the dealer for the final bleed?

I have read the instructions for changing the fluid, but they assume there is no air in the system, which will obviously not be the case once I replace the line. I have read about pumping fluid from the calipers back to the wheel reservoir...would that work in this case?

I have also read the threads about replacing the OEM part with Spieglers. I have never felt the need to improve the brakes on the bike, so my only concern is the expected life of the part. Is there any reason to think the Spiegler would last longer than the OEM? The OEM lasted 7 years.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff
Look at THIS thread on Spiegler brake lines.
Post #11 has info to order.
If you have 1 line leaking you WILL have more.
It is very easy to change all the rubber lines to Stainless Steal flex lines.
Bleeding is not hard just takes a little time to do.
Plan on a full weekend to do it.
I have done Spiegler upgrades on 3 Non Linked systems & 2 Linked.
The first non linked took my 5 or 6 hours
The last was less then 4
The 2 linked systems where both 6 or 7 hours to do.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I agree with the times stated by katnapinn, and highly recommend the Spiegler brake line replacements. The kit was about $230.00 and their website lists distributors; the Euro Shop in Waco received the lines in about 5-working days. Save yourself some money; find a tech session and put them on.

Edited 7/16/2009.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just replaced my brakes lines last week. This is how I bleed the brakes. Went to Pep Boys and bought a big syringe (for pre-mix gas) I used a bleeder adapter in a vacuum kit I had, You can buy a cheap hand vacuum pump with all the fittings at Harbour Freight cheap. I injected the brake into the calipers just as the manual said. Next I filled the front master cylinder with some new DOT 4 and pumped all the air out by just pumping the brake handle until there were no more bubbles. Now I had brakes and so I drove to the dealer and he bleed the brake pedal(and probably the rest that I had already done) and performed a bleed test. Get the print out of the test and keep it handy for future reference.
I really liked the idea of the dealer doing the bleed and test and it puts the liability in his hands. My dealer has done alot of these before so I feel confident also. Cost $354 at Las Vegas BMW OUCH! Do not use those lousy BMW rubber lines I noticed ALL the bikes at the dealer have braided Stainless lines except the LT. I wonder why? The Speigler kit was great and had all the parts and washer etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts