BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of replacing my shifter linkage to avoid and problems down the road.

Found the PowerGrind linkages and their fleabay store. Are these the ones that most folks here have been installing over the years, or is it another version?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have used them, they are nice that you do not have to lube them. But you will still break them as they are the same design as the BMW. I always break the one behind the shifter lever. Size 12 steel toe boots will do that as I use mine to ride to work.
I do a big fall trip every year and I replace mine in preparation for the ride so I have peace of mind. I have broken three screw in sockets in the 52,000 mile I have put on the bike.

Keith

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
Make sure you get the one that has both an M8 and M6 thread on it as the shift arm was changed to M8 for the 05 and up. The short one is still M6 for both.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I haven't had a single problem since my bike was new. I believe the trouble was a loose ball end and it broke off (luck for me it was a 1/2 mile ride home in 2nd gear). I replaced the ball end with locktite and keep them clean and lubed every 12k check. I use a white lithium water resistant grease that has done a fine job.

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
mooney3025 said:
I have used them, they are nice that you do not have to lube them. But you will still break them as they are the same design as the BMW. I always break the one behind the shifter lever. Size 12 steel toe boots will do that as I use mine to ride to work.
I do a big fall trip every year and I replace mine in preparation for the ride so I have peace of mind. I have broken three screw in sockets in the 52,000 mile I have put on the bike.

Keith
Not sure the boots are the problem...

:rotf:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Voyager said:
Not sure the boots are the problem...

:rotf:
I wear a 16 and [statement about no breakage yet omitted to avoid bad luck] so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.