BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for allen head stainless steel screws that will replace the phillips head screws on the clutch and break reservoir. Does anyone have a location to buy them? The OEM phillips head slots just strip out too easy. I found non stainless allen heads at Ace hardware but not stainless. They rust too easy. I found zinc coated phillips metric at Home Dee Pot but still would like to have allen head stainless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,900 Posts
A non-elegant solution would be to get the SAE stainless screws from Home Depot (allen head) in a size close to the metric thread pitch and run them through a metric die.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,458 Posts
robasay said:
I am looking for allen head stainless steel screws that will replace the phillips head screws on the clutch and break reservoir. Does anyone have a location to buy them? The OEM phillips head slots just strip out too easy. I found non stainless allen heads at Ace hardware but not stainless. They rust too easy. I found zinc coated phillips metric at Home Dee Pot but still would like to have allen head stainless.
Hey Rob - does Gilbert, AZ have a Tractor Supply store?? If so, they are worth a rummaging trip down the fastener aisle. In lieu of that, I'd take Dave Shealey's recommendation and surf the McMaster-Carr on-line pages. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
Like David said McMaster has everything.

West Marine carries both metric and standard in stainless steel as well
http://www.westmarine.com

West Marine
Store #515
District # 1628 E Southern Ave Stu 1
Tempe, AZ
85282-5685
PHONE: 480-897-6300
For store hours, please call the store directly.
Street Map


West Marine
Store #523
District # 4239 W Bell Rd
Phoenix, AZ
85053-2710
PHONE: 602-564-6680
For store hours, please call the store directly.
Street Map
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Dick said:
Hey Rob - does Gilbert, AZ have a Tractor Supply store?? If so, they are worth a rummaging trip down the fastener aisle. In lieu of that, I'd take Dave Shealey's recommendation and surf the McMaster-Carr on-line pages. Good luck.
Even though Gilbert is, or was a large farming community, now the fastest growing housing development in the US. Unfortunately no Tractor Supply store. Living in a metro area of about 4 mil people I suppose we have lots of suppliers for manufacturing and tool and die facilities but it is sometimes hard to locate in a phone book that is 3 inches thick. Dave and Tony have give me great resources and I will be checking them out. If I find a supplier I might be able to purchase a large quantity and pass the product on to those here that may be interested. I will keep all posted on locating and cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,435 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,835 Posts
robasay said:
I am looking for allen head stainless steel screws that will replace the phillips head screws on the clutch and break reservoir. Does anyone have a location to buy them? The OEM phillips head slots just strip out too easy. I found non stainless allen heads at Ace hardware but not stainless. They rust too easy. I found zinc coated phillips metric at Home Dee Pot but still would like to have allen head stainless.
1st! be careful using Stainless in aluminum! it corrodes terribly even more so if your close to salt air you think you have problems now? wait till a stainless screw corrodes into the aluminum housing.


but if you must Ace hardware has a nice assortment of hardware as well,


and just how tight are you tightening them? in over 200k miles between the RT and the LT I have never had one even begin to strip out, are you sure they are not getting over tightened?

Just sayin.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
Try Lowe's. I have found SS hardware in the specialty fastener drawers located on the hardware aisle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tmgs said:
1st! be careful using Stainless in aluminum! it corrodes terribly even more so if your close to salt air you think you have problems now? wait till a stainless screw corrodes into the aluminum housing.


but if you must Ace hardware has a nice assortment of hardware as well,


and just how tight are you tightening them? in over 200k miles between the RT and the LT I have never had one even begin to strip out, are you sure they are not getting over tightened?

Just sayin.......

It's not that I am over tightening the screws it is the idiots who have done the varias services on the clutch resoviour on the bike that have used the wrong size phillips screw driver and have started rounding the phillips slots out. BMW should have used an allen or torx head type screw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,835 Posts
robasay said:
It's not that I am over tightening the screws it is the idiots who have done the varias services on the clutch resoviour on the bike that have used the wrong size phillips screw driver and have started rounding the phillips slots out. BMW should have used an allen or torx head type screw.

yup they should have that way the idiots doing the services couldn't screw them up. <g>

yer welcome for the tip though

<g>
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top