BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!
Can anyone please suggest a source for replacement side panel rubber expansion nuts (or, fasteners, or whatever they are called)?!!

I have the Repair Manual, and the Clymers manual and I could not find reference to what they are called, though I have a few which are in sad shape... I would like to replace them all along with purchasing some spares!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,180 Posts
They are well nuts. The best are the BMW ones even though they are pricey as they have ribs to hold them in place. There are some cheaper well nuts but they don't hold up as well as the BMW units and can be a bitch to get out when they go bad.

46 63 2 347 012 BLIND RIVET NUT, FLAT HEADED - M5 $6.20

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
To John you listen. Well nuts they are. BMW ones are best. Bought some cheaper ones and they were impossible to use without the ribs to hold them in place. They sit in a box unused and I won't even give them away.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are well nuts. The best are the BMW ones even though they are pricey as they have ribs to hold them in place. There are some cheaper well nuts but they don't hold up as well as the BMW units and can be a bitch to get out when they go bad.

46 63 2 347 012 BLIND RIVET NUT, FLAT HEADED - M5 $6.20
Thank you so much, John! Well nuts... did not know what they were called. Great!

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To John you listen. Well nuts they are. BMW ones are best. Bought some cheaper ones and they were impossible to use without the ribs to hold them in place. They sit in a box unused and I won't even give them away.
Thank you, Gordon! Great site!

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
I have had a few that got kind of funky , but when they do I run a tap thru them & a die on the screws. that fixes them right up. :wave

·
Registered
550 Posts
Confession: I just finished a complete tune up and service after 20K riding this year so far, and since I was tearing it apart, all the tupperware off, and needing two new radiators. I bought 10 of the blind rivet nuts for $6.20 (ouch). Took my time since the weather was nasty for riding and while putting it all together yesterday replaced a few that were bad, and 7 that were missing that I had put 'other' things in to secure the fairing. (two were zip ties!)
Today, rode about 170 miles to test out the radiators and other repairs, and the first thing I noticed was how much quieter it was-guess after nearly 200K the rattles had become part of the ride for me. I liked the new ride today better. I have tried the cheap ones, and just didn't work for me. Glad they do for others.

And when you need radiators, Beemer Boneyard was there. Appreciate their quick shipping and nice product.

And where would we be without Kirk's videos for any reference we might need for service. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts