BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a K1200LT with a damaged right saddlebag trim cover/protector (plastic) that needs to be replaced (bike dropped at a stop on the right side). The new BMW cover has double back tape on the inside mounting area that allows it to be installed. I read the manual (Clymer) about removing cover, but have some questions for people who have actually replaced the plastic cover/protector trim piece.
How do you replace the trim and/or is there a better way. What is the best way of removing the old trim piece without damaging bag? Advice is welcomed!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Heat the inside and outside with an electric heat gun on low for a few minutes. Slide some fishing line behind the front edge and saw slowly toward the back while a helper gently pulls on it. You need to start from the front since there are some locating tabs on the rear.

Make sure you clean the surface with some alcohol before applying the new piece. You only get one chance at it since the double sided tape is very aggressive. Start from the rear and put lots of pressure on it with your full weight - have your helper stand on the opposite side of the bike to prevent a tip over.

·
Registered
478 Posts
fishing line does work (note there are realy stuck on there)i never used heat gun but sounds like a good idea just not to much heat plastic & paint

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I don't know and I have never done it, but based on what the other 2 senior posters stated might I add: What about a heavy dose of masking tape around the affected area before applying the heat gun or nylon line. Couldn't hurt? That's my 2 cents.
ride safe. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have replaced both left and right side and a heat gun does work.

also you need to be agressive in pulling off the trim that double tape they use could stick "snot to a frozen windshield"

When I pulled mine off I had to really pull and the trim was ripped up before I was done removing it.

good luck..

·
Registered
94 Posts
My method was setting a 1500 W floor heater up next to the trim piece and letting it heat the area for awhile.

Then I used a thin (1/8") flexible flat plastic scraper tool from a body or paint shop with a beveled edge to slide in under the trim starting under the front edge of the trim piece. I moved it in a little and then rested while the heat worked on releasing the tape. This deforms the scraper somewhat while you push it under the trim but it also lifts the piece away.

The trim piece came off with out breaking and no damage to the paint.

I'm not sure this is the best way, but it worked for me. :cboy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts