BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a rough railroad crossing in Idaho I noticed that my left mirror was unstable and after checking found that the front pin was not holding. Duct tape got me home fine, but the price of a complete new mirror housing at $200 and the wastefullness of a complete replacement for a relatively minor problem is unsettling. I understand the plastic housing that accepts the three pins can be replaced and that there is a technique to removing the mirror from the base it is glued on to. Any advice would be much appreciated including a source for the plastic part.

Avonfloater
Washougal, WA
2002 K1200 LT
1982 Honda Sabre
1976 Honda 350-XL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replaced housing last spring, there is a trick to pop the mirror out with out breaking the inner part of the mirror that holds glass in place. But I did not learn how to do it and had to replace a inner piece of the mirror The housing part of the mirror is be about $75.00, and the part that holds the glass was under $10.00.

·
Registered
820 Posts
How bad is the damage?
can you put some photos up at all??

i broke my mirrors a month or two ago and used jb weld and zip ties to fix.

here is a thread about it

i have read the mirro costs a small furtune to replace, so if you can repair it with jb weld and zip ties, go for it.
from the research i did on it in the archives when i broke my mirror was that the knuckels on the bike that attach the mirror they need to had a little bit of grease to allow the metal springs on the mirror slide over them easily enough to lock in to place.mine were bone dry.no longer though.

if you go hunting thru the archives, you will find plenty of info on the subject

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Avonfloater

Thanks for the feedback. The damage isn't that bad - the plastic housing that holds the wire keepers is slightly cracked so it lets the wire escape from its housing and thus not hold onto the pin. I'll try the JB weld fix suggested by others.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Make sure you use the correct technique to put the mirrows back on. I broke both of mine by poping them on then the dealer showed me how to leverage it on, way better! Be sure to grease the balls and springs. The dealer took pitty on me and gave me the new parts at 50% off.

·
Registered
820 Posts
dmatson said:
Make sure you use the correct technique to put the mirrows back on. I broke both of mine by poping them on then the dealer showed me how to leverage it on, way better!

Whats the lever method??

i just pop them on with a firm whack from the palm of my hand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The part you need to replace is called the "cap", I just did mine, $37 for black $72 for chrome, got the part #s from Max BMW parts fiche on line. ordered from my local dealer. The easy way to separate the mirror from the back plate is to push the back plate away from the mirror just enough to drip some rubbing alchol behind the mirror , this will debond the adhesive, you will have to keep pushing the back plate away from the mirror to separate it. It takes a few minutes , you will have add more alcohol as the mirror comes apart. Once the mirror is off the are 4 screws to separate the " Cap" from the painted body part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts