BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Wow batteries have gone up since this thread started 18 months ago. That same YUASA battery is now around $145. I am need this spring so will be watching for sales.
Yes I noticed this also.

The bookmark on Amazon keeps showing higher price as I check on it. It started at like 116 bucks now 148 for a GYZ16H

I am just going to wait until spring and bite the bullet.

Not sure why they are going up when people are traveling less. Unless not driving is ruining a lot of batteries and they feel they have a lock on the market?

Or maybe Covid is somehow messing with supplies? Not sure but they are killing us as consumers with the excuse of Covid. While I beleive it does cause us issues I also think it is a excuse to gouge us by companies that are less then honest.

Reactions: Hfjeff

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Odyssey battery if available for your model year. I'm 5 plus years on my 2012. Conditioning test shows 95% of capacity after 5 years of service.

·
Registered
155 Posts
May have to go with something else this year. I have not had great luck with Batteries Plus batteries over the years in mopeds and such.

But they also carry this Duracell that comes with a 24 month replacement warranty. Plus 10% off if you buy online and pickup in store.

Also found the Yuasa at Summit Racing for $106.99 with an estimated delivery of 3/19/21. Must be having production issues.

Reactions: LAF

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've only got one year on my 97 RT battery. But my experience with batteries has generally been excellent. 11 years on the OEM Del Sol battery, 9 years on the OEM Sienna battery, 6 years on a Dodge colt battery. And probably 5years on a Honda Pacific Coast battery. So with the fact that I drive a lot and ride a lot, I would be disappointed with less than 4 years on the RT battery. Had the bike for only about 18 months now and love it. Coming from a Pacific Coast motorcycle, I would have liked the engine to be smoother. (It never will be.)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I want to get something ordered or located soon. Anyone got the Odyssey part number handy for the RTW? Found the YUAM716GHL on ebay from Chaparral Motorsports but just realized the "L" on the end has the terminals reversed so that isn't going to work.

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
The Odessey that were used in the past won't fit the wetheads! Too big. I don't think that they have one that fits.

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
Why are you NOT considering this battery?
Yuasa YUAM6220C YTX20CH-BS Battery
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WJX3R...olid=3VEPT1VLF8GIX&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Currently $95 from Amazon. Is it size? Amazon says it doesn't fit my '16 RT, but the Yuasa website says it does.
Looks like the terminals are correct, and it's got more CCA and capacity.
That is strange, because when I configured the search On that YUASA site a couple of years ago, I had gotten a totally different result from what I just looked at!

Just make sure that the physical dimension is the same or very close to what you have on the bike and you should be quite fine! Length and width needs to be exactly the same, but the height can be off. The YUASA that was recommended, and I had put in my '15 RT was (from memory) about 3/4" shorter that what was on the bike, and that did not pose any installation problem.

OK, I just redid the search, and got the same result as in the past. Also looked at the physical dimensions, and you should be quite fine with that one!

·
Registered
237 Posts
This battery fits and functions perfectly.

I replaced my OEM battery on my '16RTW in 2019 with this one and it's a good price $52.50.

https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Pro-Y...hild=1&keywords=20ch-bs&qid=1594662783&sr=8-3E6343165-F700-452E-BDD4-5F3793479902.jpeg.74c580199ae6b896e2391f4bafa72043.jpeg9E7AF63B-843C-4F1F-AAE7-78011E928B74.jpeg.accca8bc900e5df4551703ebd35a9b92.jpeg
WOW! Since when does 152mm in height = 6.43 inches? In my book that's actually 5.98 inches.

I looked at this one, but couldn't believe the other figures given this glaring error. Nice to see it fit your '16 RT, maybe I'll try that. Most, if not all of the Yuasa batteries say they are either 5.75" or 6.3" tall. Most of my problems have been lifting the OEM battery out of the holder on the RTW models I think from being too tall, my only worry.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Why are you NOT considering this battery?
Yuasa YUAM6220C YTX20CH-BS Battery
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WJX3R...olid=3VEPT1VLF8GIX&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Currently $95 from Amazon. Is it size? Amazon says it doesn't fit my '16 RT, but the Yuasa website says it does.
Looks like the terminals are correct, and it's got more CCA and capacity.
Dang! Just saw this now and I just ordered this one from Summit this morning. I got free shipping from them also:

So it is confirmed that 6 3/8" is not too tall for the RTW?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes, 6 3/8 will fit.
Here's the actual battery I reference above measured, and there is a very thin insulator pad below the battery in the tray.
Thank you very much Boxflyer.
I discovered why I had trouble lifting my battery with the plastic front piece. I had stuffed a positive pigtail with fuse holder on top of the battery so it couldn't be lifted without removing first! LOL

·
Registered
237 Posts
... So it is confirmed that 6 3/8" is not too tall for the RTW?
Yes, 6 3/8 will fit.
Here is my '16 RTW OEM Exide battery on the left (14 Ah, 200A CCA) that I just removed, and my new replacement Yuasa (18.9Ah 270A CCA) on the right. As you can see, exactly the same height = 6 3/8".

I got exactly 5 years out of the OEM battery. Only needed to occasionally put it on a trickle charger and this winter it started to lose it's recovery ability, so decided to replace it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here is my '16 RTW OEM Exide battery on the left (14 Ah, 200A CCA) that I just removed, and my new replacement Yuasa (18.9Ah 270A CCA) on the right. As you can see, exactly the same height = 6 3/8".

I got exactly 5 years out of the OEM battery. Only needed to occasionally put it on a trickle charger and this winter it started to lose it's recovery ability, so decided to replace it.

View attachment 172621
Where did you get this replacement Yuasa? I am also replacing the OEM Exide and want that. Thanks.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had a Lithium Btt on my GT. It was from EarthX. Next time I need a btt for my RT it will be a Lithium. I am sold on those things.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts